Re: Towing a towing a tow

snipped-for-privacy@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) mumbled:

Ok I suspect I already know the answer to this one but here goes. A > friend wants to know if he can tow a trailer behind a trailer. I've > seen lorries towing trailers and I know the Aussies have road trains > but I suspect it would be frowned upon in this country.

Fairground operators do it. From time to time you'll see a damned great truck towing a TwizzlyTwirler or somesuch with a caravan behind it. The convoys sometime have police escorts through towns and the like and they don't seem unduly upset.

Reply to
Guy King

Not legal in this country for Joe Public. Showmen have a special dispensation.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

"MrCheerful" mumbled:

As presumeably do Sealy Beds delivery trucks. And one or two other high volume, low density product distributors.

Reply to
Guy King

Showmen etc probably also have trailers specially designed for the purpose as well - imagine pulling a caravn in half with the weight of another trailer behind ....

Reply to
R. Murphy

I think you will find that those are draw bar trailers, where a box lorry (NOT a cab unit/trailer) pulls a purpose built box trailer of a similar size, but there is still only one trailer. Similar open back things are used for brick/block/tile delivery.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

"MrCheerful" mumbled:

I've seen double trailer artics around...rarely, but I have seen 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

It is covered by reg 83 Road Vehicle ( con & use) Regs 1986 and there is a table listing vehicles and how many trailers they can tow. The simple answer for a normal car is only 1 trailer but 2 if one is a towing implement.

Reply to
James(JMR)

I've seen a couple around; I think they were from the continent though. Don't try and reverse it though..it's impossible!

Reply to
Phil Howard

I'm assuming this person isn't going to be using a HGV.

Anyway, the answer is NO unless you're a fairground vehicle.

Reply to
Conor

What the hell? They pull a drawbar trailer behind a rigid, i.e 17 tonner pulling a trailer. Please open your eyes next time.

Reply to
Conor

God no. AFAIK they were being trailled in Holland but were restricted on routes. May they never see the UK.

Reply to
Conor

though.

Not impossible. It is a knack acquired with practice, rather like riding a bike and those, like me, that can do it, do it with pride.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Indeed, imagine two road trains overtaking on the A1 uphill with a speed differential of

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Look Mummy. Smug person ;-)

Reply to
Malc

pride.

Yep. Not many people can do that. :-)))

Huw

Reply to
Huw

But doing it in a straight line doesn't count. I bet =A31000 I could mark= =20 out the HGV reverse exercise with cones and you wouldn't be able to do=20 it.

--=20 ________________________ Conor Turton conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ICQ:31909763 ________________________

Reply to
Conor

trailer

But doing it in a straight line doesn't count. I bet £1000 I could mark out the HGV reverse exercise with cones and you wouldn't be able to do it.

Maybe not because each vehicle/trailer combination reacts differently and needs some practice. With the combination I am used to, I can reverse in circles or any shape you like, including from into junctions at either side. I can even do so with offset drawbars though not at all with the second trailer if it has a jolly.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Oh thank you so much ;-)

Reply to
Malc

I think, only a showman (fairground/circus etc) or a recovery vehicle can tow more than one trailer.