Re: Urgent help required on diesel engine replacement

Maybe the timing is out and you are trying to bend valves, it is common in accident damaged engines to strip or jump teeth on the cam-belt due to the sudden nature of the stop.

Reply to
Denley

Just removed a complete diesel engine from a citroen ZX on my daughters

>first car as it was burning oil and water by the gallon. On inspection the >alloy head was cracked. I therefore got a complete engine from a scrapyard >which >was her cheapest option at the time. I was told it was ok as it came out of >a crash damaged car where the engine was untouched and I therefore replaced >the whole lot taking the gearbox of the other engine. On attempting to >startup, the starter motor seized which I found was due to an overtight >engine I can turn the engine over by hand fairly easily anti-clockwise from >the pulley end ,but when I attempt to turn it clockwise (the correct >direction) it goes tight and cannot be hand turned. > >My question is to any of the experts out there is what could be the possible >cause of this why it will turn in one direction and not the other. I am >reluctant to remove the engine out of the car again as it has taken over a >week to get to this stage. Any comments/help would be appreciated. >thanks >hayjay >

Could be a silly thing like transmission pinions getting cocked. Are you sure the transmision is in neutral?

Reply to
dsr

"hayjay" mumbled:

How far can you turn it anticlockwise? It may be that there's fluid in one of the bores...it'd lock up one way but take two turns to lock again going the other way.

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
hayjay

Reply to
hayjay

"hayjay" mumbled:

See, now there's a perfect example of why we sometimes offer opinion without being sure we know the answer. I didn't /know/ it was that...but it seemed worth a look.

Reply to
Guy King