Citroen ZX

Hi all!

I wonder if somebody could help me out.

I have a mint Citroen ZX Deisel. Everything ok, Engine is as sweet as a nut, however.......

Occasionally, not all the time, but occasionally when I reverse I get kind of a knocking sound, or as if something is pulling and making a tension sound....

Any ideas? I think it may possibly be clutch.

James

Shock absorbers.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

why is that then?

Because they knock.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The message from Nick contains these words:

Does it have any?

Reply to
Guy King

hehe, i thinks so! i hear no knocking sounds any other time, it seems to happen when i reverse after i have been driving the car for a while, not when the car is cold off the drive

It's not just that slight clunk you get as the pads shift in the brake calipers?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No no no, i know that sound....

It's like a strange, tension...pulling...knock....i can almost feel it, it's like something is caught on something.

J.

It does, the ZX is mechanically very similar to the Peugeot 306, with a conventional suspension.

Can you tell if the sound is coming from the front or back ? I have known worn engine mounts to make knocking noises when hot, but not when cold. Does it knock all the time you are reversing, or is it just a single clunk when you first start to move backwards?

I can't see it being the clutch really, it shouldn't make any difference to the clutch whether the car is in reverse or a forward gear.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

It's like a slight knock when in reverse, i think when the engine is warm, sounds like it's coming from the back,

it sounds like a pulling of something, and goes knock, knock, knock as i reverse......it does it ocasionally, not all the time when i reverse, but it only does it in reverse.

James.

The message from "J" contains these words:

I didn't realise Citroens had 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "J" contains these words:

Exhaust hitting the bottom of the car? That'd be more likely in reverse 'cos the engine's rocking forward so swinging the exhaust upwards.

Reply to
Guy King

My guess would be the rear brakes then, I can't think of anything else at the back of a ZX that would make a noise like that under those conditions.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

of

...apart from the exhaust, as Guy suggested !

Reply to
Nick Read

It's not rear brakes!

I know this because I've just had the rear shoes done....

It's strange isn't it?

I'm wondering if it's clutch....the gears aint as easy as they once was, but i doubt it's that.

J.

And it did this both before and after that then ?

Not being able to get gears as easily could be the clutch, or it could be the gearchange linkage, but it doesn't make any difference to the clutch whether the car is in reverse or not, so the noise isn't likely to be anything to do with that. Noise from the clutch wouldn't be coming from the back of the car either.

Is the exhaust knocking on something?!

Reply to
Nick Read

Going to have a good look tomorrow as have day off but.......

i doubt it's exhaust, noise has just started happening...i wonder, could it be happening as a result of having my brake shoes done?

J.

Very possibly, maybe one of the brake shoes wasn't fitted properly and has come slightly adrift inside the drum.

Reply to
Nick Read

Would'nt the noise happen when going forward though aswell?

James.