RE: Wheel Bearings on XR3i

Hi,

My 1989 F-reg Ford Escort XR3i has started to make a grinding noise at low speeds from the left front wheel. Steering on full lock doesn't seem to create any problems so I reckon the CV joints are okay, does this problem sound like the wheel bearings need replacing? If so, is it a simple job? Has someone got any tips on how to do it?

Many Thanks Stewart

Reply to
Stewart

Grinding sound is not usually wheel bearing. If it is bearing then they are straightforward to change, but may be difficult for a home mechanic. First things to check are whether the wheel is tight, and that the drive shaft nut is tight, and the disc pads are good, while it is in the air check for wheel bearing play. Noisy wheel bearings usually make a sort of rhythmic grumble, a very worn bearing may allow the wheel to wobble about enough to make the disc touch the caliper holder, but this is rare, as usually the noise means it gets changed long before that degree of wear. Grumbly bearings can easily be heard from the outside if the car is run in top gear with the wheel off the ground, but be extremely careful.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Grumbly bearings can

My 205D is howling, sounds like a front wheel bearing. Lots of noise on right turns, quiet on left turns. I jacked the car up and took the wheels off in turn. I found a grumbly rear offside bearing when spinning by hand, but I'm convinced I have a bad front one too. What is the procedure for testing the front ones? Can I jack up one front wheel, stick it in first, with the other wheel on the ground? Logic dictates I can, but this is the first front wheel drive car I've had to get the spanners out on. I've got a trolley jack and axle stands. Your experience would be well appreciated.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Provided you do NOT have a limited slip diff, then one wheel at a time is ok. Jacked up with the wheel on, put it in top with it on tickover and it will spin the wheel to about 40 mph, standing next to the wheel you should only be able to hear a shushing noise, any sort of noisy rhythmic whirring is usually the bearing, comparing each side will show if one is noisier than the other.

BUT DO BE VERY CAREFUL.

The spinning wheel has a lot of energy, but you need the wheel on when checking to give some load on the bearing, the tyre throws off bits of crap at you, and the vibration from a poorly balanced wheel can rock the car off stands if you are unlucky or haven't been careful enough.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Cheers for that mrcheerful. I feel confident enough to do it now. I'll be doing it in my driveway which is gravel filled except for under the jacking points where I put large concrete pavers.I don't think the car will fall off the stands, but the gravel will give me a sec or two to get out of the way ;-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray