Recommend durable footpump

As header, I need to replace my cheapo foot pump which now lurches sideways under pressure. Anything effective, durable? Thanks for any feedback. Paul

Reply to
Paul

I recently got one of these:

on the basis of online reviews, and am quite happy with it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have the double version of that, pretty good.. I remember that I spent a good couple of hours searching the net ( when I had a job ) trying to find the best foot pump LOL

Reply to
mr p

footpumps are devil's toys, buy a diddy compressor and save the injuries.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I agree that I cannot see the point of a foot-pump. I got one of these (can't remember from where) and never looked back:

HTH,

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 01:47:40 +0100, Paul sang, in the style of Bill Bailey:

They're all s**te IME, including the expensive ones. Buy a small compressor , and if neccessary, a pencil type tyre pressure gauge.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Only use pencil type gauges if you don't really care what your tyre pressures are. They're all s**te!

I built a rig at work to test tyre pressure gauges some time ago, and invited colleagues to bring theirs in. The pencil ones were all wildly out; the most accurate was the cheapest digital one that Halfords sold. (It doesn't even have a replaceable battery.) It was within 1psi over the tested range. I still use it.

Modern decent quality tyres, on undamaged rims don't seem to loose much air. The one or two pounds drop that might occur due to the ambient temperature dropping as winter approaches can be replaced more quickly with a decent foot pump than by an electric one, once you factor in the time taken to unravel the cable! I allow seven strokes of the pump I use for each pound of pressure.

Of course, it's much easier to use an electric pump for larger pressure changes, such as if wanting to use the car fully loaded, so I have one of those as well. It's the foot pump that gets the most use however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan