Reg plate replacement

I drove around for a couple/several years on a bike which had the wrong plate on it - it belonged to the next one the dealer had sold. Only when an astute copper queried it, did it come to light, but luckily the dealer was on the phone and could re-assure him of its legitimacy (also, I had the proper docs with me).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A different country, with different laws on plate legality?

Reply to
Adrian

What's it for?

Hand painted white on black background is still legal for vehicles of that vintage.

What wasn't legal was the red Ford Sierra with an old D prefix number transferred on to it that had one of those very nice black plates with silver reflector characters set in it. Saw that get pulled on the A50 by a cop about 10 years ago. The number plate style has to match the age of vehicle and not the reg mark.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Legal to display, yes, but not legal for buying new plates.

If it was a D-_prefix_, then the plate was probably appropriate era to the Sierra, and definitely not silver-on-black era.

1/1/73 is the cutoff date after which reflective plates are needed. D- suffix, yes.
Reply to
Adrian

A place where the plod are more interested in how much Semtex you're carrying than a DIY number plate.

Reply to
SteveH

johannes put finger to keyboard:

Could be to do with checking the VIN and/or engine number, to ensure the correct part is sent?

Reply to
Scion

The late motorcyclist who, a few days ago, overtook my wife at about a ton in a 50 limit, only to plough into a car making a right turn around the next bend, had one of these.

Reply to
newshound

The problem which both I and one of the kids has had is insurance companies entering the wrong number on the database, leading to police stops and much embarassment. And, potentially, vehicle seizures had this happened "out of hours".

Reply to
newshound
[...]

I've heard so many horror stories of this type that I refuse to deal with any insurance company that won't send me either a paper certificate or email me a PDF *before* my old insurance expires. The person I dealt with last year told me that it wasn't possible, but soon changed their mind when I said OK, there are plenty of other companies that will do it.

On average it seems to take around five days from renewal for the details on MID to be updated. You Could be AMPR-pinged during that time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I drove round for three months without my reg. numbers being on the system. In my area that means going past a huge number of anpr cameras including the ones at the Dartford crossing, yet no stops ! My insurers had failed to put my numbers back on (or leave them on) at renewal. I only found out in an idle moment when I decided to check on askmid. My insurers had sent me the list of insured vehicles when I renewed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sure thing. We believe you.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Size of plate is specified (but often ignored) and I don't particularly recall mention of a reflective rear being needed. I had a good look, but couldn't find fine detail. What I did find, somewhere on the government's own site, is that the font is open to choice - barring madcap fonts, of course. As long as they're legible to a reasonable person (ie, copper) at the right distance, it's ok. From what I can make out, because I re-registered a 34 year old bike, I only need a plate of the older style and not bother with the EU bollocks flag on it. Anyway, that's what I did.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon