Removing oil from inside an electrical connection

Had to change a sensor gauge in my car today. When I uncliped the electrical part of it there was some oil within it from a small oil leak. Apart from cleaning it with a rag which is very difficult to do due its position is there any cleaning fluid etc which I could spray in to it.

Thanks

Roddy

Reply to
Rodders

Isopropanol or white spirit. White spirit is better at dissolving oil but IPA evaporates quicker.

Reply to
Malc

news.demon.co.uk!mutlu.news.demon.net!peer-uk.news.demon.net!kibo.news.demon.net!demon!62.208.234.94.MISMATCH!newsfeed.cw.net!news-FFM2.ecrc.de!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!62.253.162.218.MISMATCH!news-in.ntli.net!newsrout1-win.ntli.net!ntli.net!newspeer1-win.ntli.net!newsfe7-win.ntli.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Wash it out with some fast evaporating solvent, lighter fluid would be ideal or failing that swill it in a little petrol and let it dry.

Reply to
Chris Street

to change a sensor gauge in my car today. When I uncliped the electrical

Would that not cause problems with it being an electrical sensor? What about a fire risk?

Roddy

Reply to
Rodders

When I uncliped the

Halfords sell a big can of solvent cleaner for about £4. Used it on the abs sensors. Works well. Evaporates off quick, so no worries about electrical fire risk. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

No more so than having dirty engine oil inside it.

What risk? All the petrol should evaporate off before you stick it back on the car.

Reply to
Chris Street

Contact cleaning aerosol from Halfords, Maplin, accessory shops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)