renault 19 misfiring

Hi all,

Having problems with the thing and not sure what to try next. Have replaced the distributor cap and plugs which seemed to help a lot , but then about a month latter I had problems again, I've taken the things off and they look fine, cleaned them up anyway.

Problem is it refuses to start, when it does its misfiring really bad, often cuts out about 10 or so times, eventually after about 5 mins it seems to settle down, though there is some loss of power going up hills, Normally you would only loose like 5mph going up a steed hill but im getting around

20-30mph loss which is pretty bad. When you turn the engine off leave it for a moment, then start it again, it starts misfiring again, if you press on the gas it tries to stall.... After a really long run of about 40 miles, you can go out a hour latter and it will pretty much start first time.

The damp cold probably doesn't help matters, though on long runs im stuck to doing 50 or 60mph esp. up hills, I can pretty much floor it and it gets to about 80mph though you can almost see the petrol gauge going down since its drinking that much petrol!

Only thing I can think of is that there's is a fuel blockage somewhere ? looking at the plugs they all look the same, and according to online guides my engine is in perfect shape... if There was a problem then It hink I would expect one of the plugs to look different than the rest...

Rather stuck what to think... the engine is a replacement, had it just over a year now (the old one blew up) It was all running perfectly for about the first 8 months then just started to get worse, again probably the cold doesn't help matters. Even so there's something not running right and the lack of power proves something is wrong. When I first had the car a couple of years ago it ran fantastic, you couldn't actually floor the thing as it would go over the ton pretty much instantly, even though is another engine this one ran pretty good also.. These days I have to floor it to get upto 80 so that by the time I get to the top of a hill im doing around 50..

Is there any hope of finding what's wrong with it or should I give up and save for a new(er) car ?

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
exxos

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Reply to
gazzafield

Change the rotor arm, and the HT leads if they are original. Only when you are properly sure the secondary ignition system is good look at the fuel system.

I'm pretty sure your problem is either 2ndary or primary igntion anyhow.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

I was reading about some ignition faults in the manual, it says run the engine at some high rev, and disconnect one of the 4 leads and see how the engine sounds, im not sure that's going to help though. Going by the plugs, they all look good, if one was not sparking then I would assume the plug would look more yellow than the others.....

im sure years ago I had a spark plug lamp tester thingy, I can't remember how it worked, but it would flash a lamp when the plug fired, if the flash wasn't constant then you knew that plug had some problem.. I do not think its a single plug , I think its a multiple fault somewhere.. When you start from cold the engine fires about once a second and sounds like a single stroke engine then it sounds like 2 fire then 3.... then it eventually starts.... I will check the rotor arm, I do not think its been changed.... I've set the spark plugs to 0.9mm, I am wondering if I should try half that gap and see if that changes anything...

Chris

Reply to
exxos

If a plug wasn't firing it would be wet. If it was firing intermittently it would be covered in carbon soot. Don't deviate from the standard plug gap. Change the plugs leads and rotor arm for new items and see how it goes.

Reply to
gazzafield

the rotor arm was in a bad way, just had the thing off, cleaned it up (will have to get a new one) and it starts really good now, still spluttering when running though, going by the arm is like 1-2mm shorter im not supprised. Will call in the garage on my next outing and get a new one!

cheers all, chris

Reply to
exxos