Renault 19 radiator fan revisited

Re my on going problems with the radiator fan of my renault 19, I remember reading somewhere that I can use a paper clip to bypass the radiator switch which tells the fan to come on, thus having the fan on at al times. Can someone tell me (in plain English please :-) , how to do this.

Thanks

Roddy

Reply to
Rodders

Locate the wiring to the switch, (usually it is on the radiator) pull the wiring plug off the switch and with either a piece of wire or a paper clip, bridge the two terminals in the plug, see if the fan works (most foreign fans will come on without the ignition so be careful. If the fan is now on permanently (ign key out as well) then you need to put a switch in instead of the paperclip.

See?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

And it's not a good idea. Though the thermostat should prevent the fan overcooling the engine it may not actally manage this, and anyway, running continuously the fan motor will soon die.

However - it's true that the only two cars I've known with wired-on radiator fans were both R19s!

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Roddy

Reply to
Rodders

In news:_VKef.18171$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net, Rodders scribed for want of a better word:

Why do you not read the replies to your question I answered this in full when you first posted In idiot proof language, ie I have done it myself with help from here and managed it, so posted in baby language "which I understand" How to do it

Oh well

Reply to
Domestos

Sorry mate, I was most impressed with your reply, in fact I printed it off to follow. The only problem was when I was doing a research of google, everyone said the switch to short was to the left of the engine (ie where the driver sat). This confused me to your post and I was just trying to clarify things in case I blew someting.

Roddy

Reply to
Rodders

In news:cgQef.18244$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net, Rodders scribed for want of a better word:

No problem Roddy Just hope it does the job As for your google then the Renault is French and the driver sits on the left in them ones the frogs use :-)

Reply to
Domestos