Renault 25 Monaco - Speedo probs

Hi All

Renault 25 Monaco, with an under-reading speedo.

Calibrating it by 'feel' I get the impression that it's reading about

40% slow i.e. what it says in klicks, I'm doing in Miles.

Is this an electrical problem, or is the Monaco a cable-driven speedo? The mileometer seems to be reading fine, within 1-2%

TIA

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Have they labelled it wrong? Personally I assume that the speedo and mileometer get their pulses from the same place so if it is reading wrong and the mileometer is right then the speedo bit must be faulty. Have you checked your speed over a known distance or against someone elses car? I know that when I drove a brand new cavalier (in the days when FWD cavaliers were brand new) it was so quiet compared with my old Marina that I would unintentionally do 10-20mph over the top because that was the only was the noise levels would compare.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I don;t think so - it's labelled in Miles and K's

I'd agree with that logic...

Checked against distance, against a car, and now radar-checked - when the car reads 40km/h it's doing 37 mph...

The odometer, though, gives me a mile every 16 motorway markers, give or take 20 yards...

Is there an internal resistor or any user-fixable circuitry in the actual speedo unit, or is this a replacement job?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

I've never taken one apart so I'm ducking out at this point. You know someone with a radar gun do you or did you go so fast you'd have to be stopped? Expensive way to check a speedo.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I have friends in secure places ;-)