Renault Megane cat problem

Hi, has any body had problems with the cat on a Renault Megane? I have a 2000 (X reg) Renault Megane Couple 1.6v Sport Alize which I got a

1.5year ago. On the first day of buying the car, it lost all power and sounded like the exhaust was blowing. The garage took it back and said the cat had gone and they replaced it under warrentry.

Now 18,500 miles later I have the same problem. When speaking to another garage they said the cat may be gone but it is probably being caused by an engine fault, maybe too much fuel or something coming through. (After driving the car with lost of power etc, I looked under the car and the cat was glowing red!!).

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it likely that the garage a year and a half ago only replaced the cat and never thought about checking the engine to ensure there was no underlying problem? (I asked the garage this and they claimed if there had been a problem it would have shown up in the first 100miles or so not 18000miles. Is this likely?) I guess I'm never going to get the garage to fix it for nothing as its well outwith the warrentry period.

Any advice or similar experinces of what the underlying problem may be, will be greatly recieved.

Thanks, Colin

Reply to
nalla_cj

Catalytic converters usually fail by breaking up internally , the broken bits block the exhaust. glowing red is not common (although not unknown, which is why they are a fire risk on long grass, particularly at shows where they use a field in midsummer !!)and might well indicate exhaust blockage. Take the cat off and replace with a straight bit of pipe, then get an exhaust analysis done, post the readings, if they are well over what might be expected then there may be engine problems. My bet is just a cheap cat broken up again, particularly if you whack it on speed humps!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for the advice. Will look into doing this..... can't say too much about whacking it on speed bumps, etc.... it's the wife's car and I only drive it occassionally, maybe I should have a word with her about her driving !!! ;o)

Reply to
nalla_cj