Primera gearbox problem

I've read that Primera's gearboxes need a rebuild around 80K Does anyone know what the problem was with these boxes and whether it ever got fixed?

Reply to
David Wood

It's bollocks. I've had a Primera with nearly 130k miles on it - the gearbox was fine.

Reply to
SteveH

I did 158,000m on a '94, no problems with the gearbox at all. The only story I've heard is the one about 5th gear popout which may be caused by habitually resting your hand on the gear lever while cruising in 5th, something in the box wears out if you do that evidently. You may get some clunky top link suspension noises at 80,000m though, but nothing that fails MOTs. Early radiators fins rot (OK after late 96) but don't usually leak, and can cause high speed overheating though on a hot sunny day. Can't think of anything else that regularly goes wrong. 96-99 2.0l are best for reliability.

Reply to
SteveB

Auto or Manual, so far, touch wood, Im here with a 94, 130k miles and an auto box, no real problems with the gear box. Though it does seem to have a tendency to be a bit sluggish when changing gears at really inappropriate times, like trying to pull off in second from an island... and I had an issue after I first had the car which seemed to resolve itself and the only one I really get now, is if I manually change gears, there's a strange surge about 3000 rpm and it seems to "slip" between changing gears.

OTher than that, fine. And I treat mine like shit!

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean