Renault Scenic 04 1.6 Auto

Hi Folks, Recently bought the above car and after a lot of years with automatics I find the gearbox a bit slow to change up. It is more obvious when accelerating hard and then releasing the gas pedal. It seems to stay in the lower gear that was used to accelerate for longer. Anyone out there got experience with the Renault gearbox. Regads, Dougie

Reply to
Douglas Ross Leitch

I thought it was common knowledge that French autoboxes were s**te?

Reply to
SteveH

Is there any mode switch at all - e.g. could it be in sport mode?

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

Yes, sell the bloody thing tomorrow.

Renault autos especially are worse than Bush in a hurricane.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I have just sold a Kangoo that had a Pro-Active 'fuzzy logic' auto box, I had problems with this not changing up when I was going up hills, even when I backed right off of the throttle, it seems like this is how they operate.

McDerd

Reply to
mcderd

There was wrong with the autobox in my Vauxhall Carlton, and it was made in France.

I think it's specifically renault 'boxes. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

After involvement with a friends Clio autobox I'm tempted to agree, however the autobox in father in laws 98R Safrane has been faultless in 135,000 miles. Renault obviously make a decent one occasionally just for the hell of it!

Reply to
Doctor D

Is it definitely a Renault autobox in the Safrane? ;-)

I know that some (the 2.5s) use the Volvo engine, I'm wondering whether they used the same autobox that Volvo do (Aisin Warner AW50-42LE)?

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Douglas Hall (@) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The Douvrin v6 is as much a Renault or Peugeot engine as it is a Volvo one

- possibly more so, since the joint venture that designed and built it is in France...

Unlikely, since the Safrane's FWD and the Volvos that used it were all RWD.

Reply to
Adrian

No no, some of the series II Safranes used the 5 cylinder transverse 2.5 20v engine straight from Volvo. i've yet to see one though.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim.. ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Blimey O'Reilly...

They probably sold about three. Worldwide.

Reply to
Adrian

I thought the 2.5 used in the Safrane was an _I5_ not a V6?

No they weren't.

The AW50-42LE transmission is for front wheel drive cars. 850s onwards were FWD (with the odd exception of some AWD models). All the 70 series onwards were / are FWD, including the 60 series and the 80 series.

The last RWD Volvos were the 90 series, which were really just facelifted

900 series. And they used different transmissions.
Reply to
Douglas Hall