Replace brake bulb rear in MkV Golf

Hi

Is it possible to do yourself or does a trained mechanic need to do it?

Removing the side wall covering seems a bit of a challenge as it tightly secured down one side.

Any help welcomed.

Yours

Aj Fife

Reply to
Hankjam

RTFM, as they say. Seriously, aren't there instructions on getting at the bulbs in the manual?

Reply to
Ed Hazell

take your point, not got one yet, car still relatively new (to me)..

Aj

Reply to
Hankjam

The message from Ed Hazell contains these words:

Rarely in owner's manuals. Generally in Haynes BsOLs.

Reply to
Guy King

I've never had a car where 'legally required bulbs' changing isn't covered in the owners handbook. Would seem strange not to given many countries require you to carry spares.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wish!

The Owners Handbook (UK Branch) states that Light bulbs should be changed by VW trained mechanics...

Aj

Reply to
Hankjam

Hankjam wrote:>

Well, it would say that, wouldn't it? Obviously, VW's must be SO reliable, that the dealers are getting desperate for ANY work!

PS. How many VW trained mechanics does it take to change a light bulb? Sorry, just couldn't resist that one.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

Hankjam wrote:>

Well, it would say that, wouldn't it? Obviously, VW's must be SO reliable, that the dealers are getting desperate for ANY work!

PS. How many VW trained mechanics does it take to change a light bulb? Sorry, just couldn't resist that one.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I've never noticed. Perhaps It's just never occured to me to look on account of it not being hard!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Stephen Leak" contains these words:

There are cars about which require the removal of the front bumper to change a bulb.

Reply to
Guy King

In comes the mk4 golf

Reply to
magicman

Stops them getting sued if you injure yourself doing so.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Guy King wrote in news:31303030343237394518456781 @zetnet.co.uk:

I hope to God that's not for brake bulbs...

Reply to
Tunku

The centre brake light on my E39 (still under warranty) failed a day before it was due to be serviced at the main dealer. Warning display on. Didn't bother changing it since I reckoned they'd do it. The car was returned with the warning display still lit, and the centre brake light still not working. Nor had they reset the service indicator. Phoned them up and they apologised saying to bring it in and they'd do it while I waited. Did so when convenient, a few days later. Got a 'free' cup of coffee while I waited - some half an hour. When told it was ready, was presented with a bill for 16 quid. For a bog standard 21 watt bulb. No tools required to change it, either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Quite possibly because replacing a bulb with one of incorrect wattage, or getting an offset bayonet one the wrong way round, or shorting a connection out with a tool could all cause expensive damage to the multiplexed electrics.

Sadly, this is the price we pay for progress.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

Very poor electronics design if it does.

Reply to
Guy King

You missplet 'cheap'

Reply to
PC Paul

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You need a tool now to change a bulb? ;-)

Bulbs often short momentarily as they fail, so I'd expect the electronics to cope with this.

I often have unrealistic expectations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's not new.

My '73 Citroen Ami needs the entire front panel removed to change a sidelight/indicator unit - although it is *just* about possible to do a bulb in situ if you happen to be ET.

Reply to
Adrian