Replacing Heated Mirror Glass - Mondeo

I now have the replacement mirror, which looks like a "push in place" job, except that the two terminals for the heating circuit could be either push-in or soldered to the rest of the wing mirror assembly. They have small holes near the ends, which made me think 'soldered'...

Can anyone enlighten me please? I don't want to wreck the mirror assembly by wrenching the broken one out if it's soldered, in which case I have to dismantle the housing, my next problem. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

they are not soldered, they have tiny slide on connectors, the hole is to allow a little tang to lock the connector in place.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for the quick response, Mr C. I should be able to remove the glass/mirror, but maybe need to break it in pieces first to avoid damaging the movement links. Or maybe it is necessary/easier to prise open the housing from the other side?

I have a past history of trying to drill out cylinder head studs and breaking off the drill flush with the stud, so you can understand why I'm nervous. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

there is not usually any access from the other side, even with the outer cover off, I cannot remember what the mondeo uses, sometimes there is a ring which must be revolved a little to unlock the mirror glass, accessed by a hole at the base of the mirror and using a thin screwdriver, sometimes it is just clipped on. I dislike removing mirror glass just because the mechanisms are so fiddly and easy to break. Taking the whole assembly off the door and working on it in comfort is frequently the best way, there is a Corsa mirror next to me as I type !! that one uses three push on ball joints and I would say it would be well nigh impossible to get the glass off in one piece if the mirror head was on the car (this one had been kicked off, so I was saving the glass and the body coloured bit)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You always need more force than I would consider reasonable to get these out and install the new glass - but it bends!

Reply to
Graham J

Thanks again, more for me to check before using brute force!

Reply to
Gordon H

Yeaah, and that's why the mirror cracked as I reversed too close to a tough shrub, the plastic flexes and that's also why it seems tricky to lever out. :-(

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Gordon H writes

Job done in about 5 minutes. 'Broke' the mirror assembly forward to get a lever in behind the inboard end of the glass and applied unreasonable force. Then I managed a straight pull to get the glass and back plate free of the plastic boss, and swapped the contacts onto the new glass. Just a matter of pushing the new glass onto the boss and setting up the mirror adjustment.

Thanks for the info and advice...

Reply to
Gordon H
[snip]

On a Corsa this is the frightening bit - I fould I had to push so hard to get the glass onto the pivot and two actuator bosses that I thought I would break the brand new glass. Presumably thay have quite a failure rate in the factory? Or perhaps they have a special jig?

Reply to
Graham J

In message , Graham J writes

The boss on the Mondeo mirrors is about 3" diameter, and it went on ok, but there was some uncertainty about it being fully registered. It hasn't dropped out yet, and has the full adjustment range. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H