Resetting VW Immobiliser?

I've had an intermittent problem with my speedo/tacho/dials for the last week, searching found that it is a common fault, with the cause generally poor soldered joints on the clocks pcb. So I took it apart today, went over a few joints, but didnt really see anything too suspect. Put it back together, now the immobiliser doesnt recognise the key.

It is the old type (1997) with a chip inside the key.

Getting it sorted - is this the sort of thing that the mobile key programmers can fix?

If not, how can it be sorted?

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

From memory, so needs checking:

If you have the SKC (secret key code- maybe on a tab with the original keys), it can be done with VCDS.

If you don't have the SKC, you need an auto-locksmith or dealer with a VAS machine with online access to VW, or a copy of VAG-Tacho to read the SKC. A good auto-locksmith or VAG inedpendent will probably have these.

More info:

Also note that the pickup coil around the ignition lock (which reads the key) can fail.

It is possible to have the engine ECU programmed to ignore the immobiliser....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've neglected to plug the coil back in upon reassembly of the steering column shroud in the past (not on a VW) which caused quite a lot of head scratching.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It turned out to be a bit more complicated. The instrument panel was playing up, and it is a known fault that many have suffered from. This also affects the immobiliser, which is sited on the instrument panel. I got someone round to re-program it, but they couldnt do it, as it was not saving any settings. He thought the immobiliser was ruined.

I rang up 'Revtronics' in Bradford who repair these instruments. Yes they said, a common problem, send it to us and we'll sort it. 3 days and £100 later it was back. The key man came again with his computer, and programmed the unit fine this time, and all has been well since. £200+ all in - £78 first time for keys, £100 (+post) for panel repair, £20 for

2nd key visit.

They're great when they work correctly, a real PITA when they dont.

Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee