Vauxhall Omega Problem

Hi

A few weeks ago my 1998 2.5 V6 Omega failed to start on the one day I needed to get to work early; it would crank but that's all. I got a lift to work and called out a mobile guy to take a look.

I don't think he could find anything wrong and suggested the battery in the key was low and not turning off the immobiliser; basically the car just started ok when he tried.

This morning the same thing happened, I swapped keys but still nothing. To cut a long story short I pressed the alarm button a few times and then the thing fired up.

Is this an immobiliser problem and if so is there a cure?

Thanks in advance Mal

Reply to
Dasta-1

The immobiliser is a seperate system to the remote keyfob alarm. The immobiliser works by radio signals sent between a chip in the key and a aerial around the ignition lock barrel. If there are any problems with this signal being received or decoded, then the engine will crank over but the engine management light will flash.

It is difficult to say what could be wrong with the system, as I have known there to be very few intermittent faults such as you describe. One I did hear about was something to do with the driver having a mobile phone close to the streering column when starting the car.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

I had a similar problem on a rover 600. Was fine away from home but as soon as I parked it up , I couldnt set the alarm.

Turned out to be radio interferance from my front door bell which is radio activated to the chim ein the house. The push was waterlogged.

Reply to
John Rogerlot

Try sticking the key in the ignition and then press the button on the key top reset the key.

Dave

Reply to
Rebelrouser

Hi

Thanks for the input so far.

The engine management light did not flash but stayed on with other warning lights as the ignition was on but the engine had not fired up.

I will also try sticking the key in the ignition and then press the button on the key as suggested to reset.

Any other theories welcome ...

Cheers Mal

Reply to
Dasta-1

In article , Dasta-1 writes

When trying the reset you need to put the key into the ignition lock turn it on so the ign lights come and then press and hold the unlock button the door locks will then lock and unlock showing the system has reset, hope this helps

Reply to
Mike Jakob