Message deleted?

Hi All,

Earlier today I posted a message re getting to grips with the coded keys on our 2003 Transit Connect. I saw the message on the group so I'm pretty sure it posted ok so I'm guessing it was removed (if this group is moderated) because it was considered the content might be 'useful' to the scroats? All of what I typed is either covered in the owners handbook (not even the workshop manual) or is available online (plus a lot worse of course) so is this group moderated (then fair enough) or was it just a glitch?

The reason for wanting to have a better understanding of how the transponder chips come is so I can make our van secure against any 'other' keys that might still be out there (previous owners and the like) at the least possible cost.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It still shows gere and there is no moderation.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I read your original message. Being the Usenet its probably on hundreds of servers by now.

The group isn't moderated.

Reply to
alan_m

Ok, thanks for that MrC.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Daughter (whose Van it is) is going to see if one of those pet-chip scanners can read the transponders in her keys to see if they are the same or not. Could it work?

Reply to
T i m

Ok thanks Alan.

That's fine ... I wonder why it vanished here?

Ok thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You deleted it from your client? Try re-loading headers.

Reply to
Adrian

not sure how the transit system works, (whether its a static or rolling code) so i wouldn't attempt to read it or activate it with any other device, it may if its a rolling code take it out of sync with the vehicle.

If you want other key codes removed take it to a lock smith or the dealer , they will delete all but the keys you have

Reply to
steve robinson

Ah, good point. So this would mean the transponder itself would be being re-programmed with use? I wonder how that would work if you had several cloned copies of one key ('cloning' what our local locksmith offered for about 40 quid). Maybe this 2003 system isn't that sophisticated to have rolling codes?

At a price Steve. ;-( 'In theory', we should be able to clear all (except the two keys used to get the system into clearing mode) key codes ourselves ...

From the owners handbook:

"Key coding A maximum of eight keys (including the ones supplied with the vehicle) can be coded using two other keys previously coded for your vehicle. Complete each of the following steps within five seconds.

  1. Insert the first key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.

  1. Turn the key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch.

  2. Insert the second key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.

  1. Turn the second key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch - the key coding mode is now activated.

Coding erasure With two keys coded for your vehicle you can make all the other coded keys unusable, e.g. after loss: Complete each of the following steps within five seconds.

(Carry out the first four steps under Key coding, then continue as follows:)

? Insert the second key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.

? Remove the key from the ignition switch.

? Insert the first key in the ignition switch, turn to position II and hold. The control light flashes for five seconds.

? If the ignition is switched off during these five seconds, the erasure process is terminated and no key is erased.

? If the erasure process is completed, all the other keys, apart from the two used for erasure, can no longer be used unless re coded.

Additional keys can now be coded"

However, some folk on the Transit Forum suggest that whilst the programming process worked for them, the clearing didn't. We have little to lose by trying as the most likely outcome would be that it just didn't do anything. If it breaks anything I still have to get a locksmith in any case. That said, I'd still like to know if the two keys we do have are 'unique' and one way to test that would be to try to program a 3rd key with them (I can get a key cut and pre-coded, ready to get our van to learn for 13 quid off eBay).

I used OpCom (copy of VauxCom) to good effect when diagnosing an intermittent ECU / communications fault on our Meriva and I think it would also let you program extra keys (but not 100% on that).

I would rather sped circa £100 on a clone of Fords diagnostic tool, even if it was limited to the range of models it covered, as long as I could do things like key coding and reading / resetting fault codes.

The Meriva had a misfire on starting the other morning and with my phone, a £3 app and a similarly priced bluetooth dongle I was able to read the logged fault (Misfire on No4) and reset the fault light. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not intentionally Adrian but I could have done so accidentally I guess?

I could but my current list goes back to 2005 and I'm not sure I'd get them all back from that far (with whoever VM use for their news servers these days)?

I'm guessing that if I can't see my OP I won't see any replies to it either?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most diagnostic tools won't wirte key codes its usually dealer specific or dealer approved it that can do that

Reply to
steve robinson
[...]

I worked as an electrical technician, though not in any way connected to the motor trade. When I retired, I helped out at a local garage occasionally when they were stuck with an electrical problem.

I spent a lot of time searching for the Holy Grail of electrical automotive diagnosis - a 'do everything' tool that didn't cost the earth, or tie you in to a licence. I'm convinced it doesn't exist.

Even large independent garages don't get access to the manufacturer's kit; it's franchised dealers only. I would very much doubt that you would get hold of it, or a clone, at a price you would consider even remotely sensible.

Even the proper non-OEM tools are beyond reach of an owner/driver, and many smaller garages. As an example, the last time I looked at a genuine Delphi tool that covered cars and vans, it was 3,000UKP to purchase, then

1,000UKP/year licence for software updates.

It's worth remembering that 'OBD' (strictly EOBD) is itself generic. It only provides data relating to emissions.

All vehicle makers have to provide an EOBD port that can be accessed by a universal tool.

Any other data that is available from the same port uses a protocol that is specific to that manufacturer.

The Delphi clone would be a gamble, but I mentioned it because IMO it's the only way you would be able to do what you suggested for anywhere near

100UKP.

Yep, and of course independent garages don't have the luxury of a passenger!

The real point of it is to leave it connected in a customer's car to help diagnose intermittent faults, or those caused by 'pilot error'.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Similar with me but more electronics / datacomms / computers.

Funnily, I do the same but with computers and my local garage. I sort his PCs, he lets me use his stuff. ;-)

I'm sure you are right Chris.

Agreed.

Hmm, well, as I said, the pretty_close_clone of the Vauxhall VauxCom cost me under 20 quid in total and did much of what the real system could do. What I was surprised to learn is Vauxhall seem to be turning a blind eye to this activity, as if they understand it's mainly enthusiasts who are doing this and not likely to impact the saies of the proper units. Also the software will always be a few years out of date, but again, not so much an issue for most of the people playing with this sort of thing.

Yup, mate pays similar (if not more) for his SunTune unit.

Understood.

Ok.

Yes, and why I had to get the OpCom solution to get further into the details of the Meriva, the 'std / generic' OBD diagnostic stuff (that I tried at the time), wouldn't.

I could use it to interrogate the ECU, the BCM, the Instruments, and the immobiliser. Had I had a GPS or Climate control I could have accessed them as well. I could, from my laptop, do stuff from turning on the fuel-pump and wipers to telling if the doors were open or closed and the reading of the odometer and the key in use at the time. I believe there were some things it couldn't do as easily as the real thing, but some of those limitations could be got round, albeit by slightly clumsy means.

Well, as I mentioned (and considering the above re OpCom) I think I might be better off buying something that was a clone of the Ford system ... for doing stuff on a Ford than buying a generic tool. I'm not suggesting it would be a better solution all round or actually do anything different to the Ford IDS clone but those who have played with Fords seem to suggest that is the case.

True. ;-)

Understood. When chasing this intermittent fault on the Meriva I had daughter sat in the passenger seat working the laptop. When the speedo would cut out (I had the GPS on so I knew what speed I was doing), she could tell the speedo to display say 30 mph to prove it wasn't the instrument cluster or it's cabling that was faulty at that time. When the speedo cut out, so did the speed as monitored *from* the ECU so that helped localise the fault nearer the ECU (or some_of the wiring to / from the ECU). When it wouldn't start we could see via the OpCom that it wasn't immobilised but it acted as if it was (would turn over and often run for a second just the first time you tried) and when the starting fault went hard one day, we were able to prove it was (just) the ECU with the use of a heat gun. ;-)

We (the Mrs and I this time. Daughter helped with the mobile data experiments as she doesn't get car sick whilst reading ) removed the ECU, BCM, instruments and ignition ring and key and took them to a place in Chelmsford to have the ECU re-manufactured. A few days and £250 later we collected it all and had it all in and the car back up and running within an hour. ;-)

So, whilst the OpCom didn't *prove* it was the ECU (to me anyway), without it I don't think I would have been as sure (and I would be interested to see if something like the Delphi unit gave me the same range of information / control).

When you consider the cost of taking your car to any main dealer, you could probably buy one of all these cloned units and still be better off! On top of being able to do some of this stuff yourself, many of us just find it interesting to see / interact with our vehicles. 'You can manage what you can measure'. ;-)

A mate was quoted 60 quid by Peugeot to pressure test the cooling system on his Pug. He bought a complete pressure testing kit (with many different caps) for £100 and he (and I) have used it several times since. (I used it on daughters Corsa but couldn't get up any pressure. However, you could hear the air wafting out of the water pump like it had fallen off completely!). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m