Rotor arms

Had a crap day - it was meant to be simple - take the Boxster to the lockup and swap it for the Alfa 75.

Strangely, the Alfa wouldn't fire, which is unusual, as it *always* fires up, no matter how long it has been sitting in the lockup. (Sometimes needs a booster box, but that's all)

So, I pulled the primary distributor cap and removed the rotor arm to check it out - promptly, the 't' bit of the brass track fell off. So that'll be why it wasn't firing!

Thought - no problem, I can get one at Halfords. Only you can't, they no longer carry distributor caps or rotor arms in the stores, they have to be ordered in.

The same result was had at another, small local chain of motor factors.

Thought it wouldn't be too much of an issue, as the arm is a standard Bosch part, used on loads of cars in the 80s / 90s and probably into the

2000s.

To make matters worse, I took the cap off the secondary distributor, with the aim that I could get home using the arm from that. Only it's glued on and broke in two when I tried to lever it off.

So, I now have a car that won't fire and no rotor arms. Might try my local mechanic in the morning to see if he can help - he was due to get the car this week for some other jobs (engine and gearbox mounts, water pump) - if all else fails, I suppose I can call the AA and get it towed to him.

Anyway - any ideas for getting the remains of the rotor arm off - without power tools? (no electric at the lockup and I don't have a cordless Dremel type thing)

Reply to
SteveH

anti slip gloves grab with fingers ad pull , mole grips if you can get them in foot of a small set of pincers under the lip .

You could crack the rest with a fine nail punch if your nifty with a hammer

Reply to
steve robinson

Take the distributor off and bring it to somewhere with power? You'll also have better access to it, and be less likely to damage the shaft.

Reply to
Adrian

That's not likely to happen, due to where it is on the engine.

It's buried deep in the engine bay and access is restricted by coolant hoses.

Reply to
SteveH

A large roundhead nail, use the head as a lever under the rotor arm or a cranked flat head screwdriver

Reply to
steve robinson

Sounds like all the more reason to remove it.

Reply to
Adrian

After reading the thread resurrection from 1999, I had to check the date on this post - in 2015 this is like a dictionary definition of "cheerful optimism"!

I haven't had/seen/played with a dizzie in 15 years. My last car (J-reg) with one only just had it; a bit later and they went to double ended coil packs.

I wonder when the last non-V8[1] mainstream production car rolled off the line with one?

[1] Exception added as Land Rover will skew it otherwise.
Reply to
Scott M

(Whoops, forgot the useful contribution)

Rotor arms are usually fairly brittle so I'd try an automatic centre punch - bit more controlled than a hammer. Or a tacking hammer and punch/screwdriver. If you're looking at the end of the rotor stem, going down between the stem and arm would burst it nicely.

Reply to
Scott M

Some Alfa rotor arms are glued on from the factory with epoxy glue, Alfa dealers sell distributor complete, no arms as a spare part. Don't know if this applies to yours, but it seems likely.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I knew there must be a good reason for not getting one!

Reply to
newshound

My local mechanic has ordered a pair of rotor arms from his supplier - they'll be there by now, so I just have to get back to the car and try it - I *think* it'll fire up on the top distributor, so I may not need to get the lower one off...

Not sure what I did last time - I must have managed to break the upper arm off and replace it with a push-on version.

Reply to
SteveH

But it's not *that* long ago, I'd regularly pick up caps and arms at Halfords!

Or maybe it was, and I'm just getting old.

Reply to
SteveH

I've found that. I think I did something 6 weeks ago and it's 6 months. It's worse with cars. A friend and me went thru the DVLA lookup checking on our old cars. It didn't feel long since we'd sold them but without exception they've all been off the road for years.

But on a practical note, Halfords /have/ wound back the range of stuff they stock. The individual socket cupboards have been thinned out. They don't sell individual ratchet spanners. The filter shelves seem to be half the size they were.

Reply to
Scott M

I have a steel rule somewhere with 1/64ths marked. Can I still buy one, or have they rationalised to 1/32nds, or even 1/16ths? ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Don't forget that Metrifuction took place some time ago...

Reply to
Davey

axminster 2.51 plus 1 pound postage

Mrcheerful

Not in the USA it didn't.

Reply to
Peter Hill

You would think that with a recession there would be more demand for tools and parts for DIY.

Reply to
Peter Hill

This is a UK newsgroup, however.

Reply to
Davey

After all that - and sourcing 2 rotor arms via my local mechanic - the actual issue was a sticky fuel pump.

Argh!

Reply to
SteveH