Rotor arms

Had a crap day - it was meant to be simple - take the Boxster to the lockup and swap it for the Alfa 75.
Strangely, the Alfa wouldn't fire, which is unusual, as it *always*
fires up, no matter how long it has been sitting in the lockup. (Sometimes needs a booster box, but that's all)
So, I pulled the primary distributor cap and removed the rotor arm to check it out - promptly, the 't' bit of the brass track fell off. So that'll be why it wasn't firing!
Thought - no problem, I can get one at Halfords. Only you can't, they no longer carry distributor caps or rotor arms in the stores, they have to be ordered in.
The same result was had at another, small local chain of motor factors.
Thought it wouldn't be too much of an issue, as the arm is a standard Bosch part, used on loads of cars in the 80s / 90s and probably into the 2000s.
To make matters worse, I took the cap off the secondary distributor, with the aim that I could get home using the arm from that. Only it's glued on and broke in two when I tried to lever it off.
So, I now have a car that won't fire and no rotor arms. Might try my local mechanic in the morning to see if he can help - he was due to get the car this week for some other jobs (engine and gearbox mounts, water pump) - if all else fails, I suppose I can call the AA and get it towed to him.
Anyway - any ideas for getting the remains of the rotor arm off - without power tools? (no electric at the lockup and I don't have a cordless Dremel type thing)
--
SteveH

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:48:41 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (SteveH) wrote:

anti slip gloves grab with fingers ad pull , mole grips if you can get them in foot of a small set of pincers under the lip .
You could crack the rest with a fine nail punch if your nifty with a hammer
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:48:41 +0100, SteveH wrote:

Take the distributor off and bring it to somewhere with power? You'll also have better access to it, and be less likely to damage the shaft.

That's not likely to happen, due to where it is on the engine.
It's buried deep in the engine bay and access is restricted by coolant hoses.
--
SteveH

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:24:27 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (SteveH) wrote:

A large roundhead nail, use the head as a lever under the rotor arm or a cranked flat head screwdriver
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:24:27 +0100, SteveH wrote:

Sounds like all the more reason to remove it.
SteveH wrote:

After reading the thread resurrection from 1999, I had to check the date on this post - in 2015 this is like a dictionary definition of "cheerful optimism"!
I haven't had/seen/played with a dizzie in 15 years. My last car (J-reg) with one only just had it; a bit later and they went to double ended coil packs.
I wonder when the last non-V8[1] mainstream production car rolled off the line with one?
[1] Exception added as Land Rover will skew it otherwise.
--
Scott

But it's not *that* long ago, I'd regularly pick up caps and arms at Halfords!
Or maybe it was, and I'm just getting old.
--
SteveH

SteveH wrote:

I've found that. I think I did something 6 weeks ago and it's 6 months. It's worse with cars. A friend and me went thru the DVLA lookup checking on our old cars. It didn't feel long since we'd sold them but without exception they've all been off the road for years.
But on a practical note, Halfords /have/ wound back the range of stuff they stock. The individual socket cupboards have been thinned out. They don't sell individual ratchet spanners. The filter shelves seem to be half the size they were.
--
Scott

On 14/09/2015 13:09, Scott M wrote:

I have a steel rule somewhere with 1/64ths marked. Can I still buy one, or have they rationalised to 1/32nds, or even 1/16ths? ;-)
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 14:58:01 +0100

Don't forget that Metrifuction took place some time ago...
--
Davey.

On 14/09/2015 15:15, Davey wrote:

Not in the USA it didn't.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 19:14:35 +0100

This is a UK newsgroup, however.
--
Davey.

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 19:14:35 +0100, Peter Hill wrote:

Just one of the many, many ways that they're decades behind the rest of the world.

I'm not so sure. Lots of examples where people have confused MM and CM. Engineering tends only to use MM - where CM is common domestically. That didn't seem to be a problem with imperial.
And despite having used metric for a long time, I still prefer imperial for DIY measurement. It seems to use units which are human based rather than ones easy for a computer to handle.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:16:09 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Mmm. But it is a trivially easy conversion...

If 10:1 confusion between mm and cm is so possible, why not 12:1 confusion between ' and "?

In what way is a progression through 1/4"-5/16"-3/8"-7/16"-1/2" spanners - to take just one example - easier for humans than 8mm-9mm-10mm-11mm-12mm? And that's before the whole A/F vs whitworth vs whateverthefuckdibnah mess...

I can tell any AF (unified) size at a glance. Not so with metric. Of course if you only ever work on a car with metric sizes, you'd not be likely to have learned the older ones.
Oh - why do you think most still quote a person's height in feet? Use miles for long distance measurement?
After all 6 ft is 1.829M, so just as easy to remember. ;-)
Thing is you'd need to be equally familiar with both systems, and only old farts are likely to be so.
Of course when drawing things on the computer I'll use metric.
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 14:44:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

*ding* But that's separate to my point, as you probably know quite well...

Because, as per your point, it's what people are used to. No more than that. And the only reason it's what people are used to is because we've pissed around not-quite-converting-properly for decades.

But 1m80 is much easier to remember than 5'11"... A rounder number is easier to remember than a less round one, regardless of the actual meaning of the number. This is hardly news.

Many old farts (d/w)on't do metric, and the yoof don't give a toss about antiquated irrelevant Dibnah measurements.
Which just leaves us middle-aged farts translating between the two.
On 14/09/2015 14:58, Gordon H wrote:

axminster 2.51 plus 1 pound postage http://www.axminster.co.uk/fisher-stainless-steel-rules
On 14/09/2015 13:09, Scott M wrote:

You would think that with a recession there would be more demand for tools and parts for DIY.