Saab 9000 rotor arm removal

Hello

I've got a 1998 Saab 9000 that has done 110,000 miles. I bought a new distributor cap, HT leads and rotor arm. I have replaced the cap and leads, but I can't get the rotor arm off. Is it meant to just pull off? The Haynes manual doesn't give any details. I have tried pulling it off and I also tried levering it off with an old chisel and broke the end of the chisel!

Reply to
dimstthomas

Crikey ! Where did you find them ?

Whatever car you drive it certainly isn't a Saab 9000 ! What does the badge say ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You crush it! Then you glue the new one on. As the distributor only acts as a switch on these models, you don't get the wear from arcing as you used to do.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Ah - did you mean 1989 ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Halfords.

Saab

The handbook says its a 900 XS.

Reply to
dimstthomas

So it doesn't really need replacing? Looks a bit worn to me.

Reply to
dimstthomas

Ah !

Why did you write 9000 twice then ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Because I made a mistake. Can you answer the question now? Thanks.

Reply to
dimstthomas

A curious mistake for a Saab owner. Mind you I'm astonised there were still such things on a 1998 Saab. GM's influence no doubt. I thought they'd previously all vanished.

When faced with a similar predicament in the past, I've been known to resort to the judicious use of a heavy blunt object.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

such things on

GM seems to be the popular scapegoat for anything wrong with SAAB after taking over. But the high voltage ignition coil concept to replace the distributor does not start from the Swede. Ford pioneered it in the late 80's from what I understand.

Speaking of technology spreading in cars. I am astonished in Aruba recently to see a 1996 Toyota Corolla with injector ports on the engine but not used. Only disconnected connectors are on the engine. It still uses a rotor and carburetor, and no heater core. You don't need heat in the tropical paradise, only AC.

Reply to
yaofeng

I had an '88 Nissan with them... not so sure it was Ford who came up with the idea.

Reply to
still me