Rounded Screw - again

Attacked the screw with the drill. Eventually got the head off and took the handle off to find a bent door.

Anyway, I've cut a slot in the top of the screw, and it won't budge. Bar plus gas and belting it with a hammer, both of which I've tried, what can I do?

Reply to
Doki

Heat, the little oxy/mapp gas torches are very good.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I've got a blowtorch. It gets hot. Never seemed much cop at shifting stuff before, but that was on agricultural machines. I can give it a go.

Reply to
Doki

How much thread is exposed? Can you get two thin nuts onto it? If you can, do the top one up REALLY HARD while holding the bottom one still, then use the bottom one to unscrew the shank. It sometimes works.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Its the oxygen that makes the difference. Or try welding a nut onto the end.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Where do I get one of these beasts? Not seen one before - basically you're talking a little gas axe?

Reply to
Doki

Bah. Not cheap. Tempted to try a can of the freeze stuff from the local factors...

Reply to
Doki

Any decent toolstore. Welding a nut on's cheaper.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have a feeling that might be a tad difficult. The screw is only about 3 or

4mm across. I'm not a welder but that sounds like it'd be a bit tough.
Reply to
Doki

It's guaranteed to get it red hot :-)

Reply to