Rover 214 Crankshaft and Camshaft alignment

Hi Group,

I've just replace the cylinder head gasket on my rover 214. Unfortunately there was no timing marks because some person in the past removed the cover and didn't put it back I therefore guessed that I was at TDC but got it wrong. I had to move the cam shafts to get two of the cylinder head bolts.

Question really is.

How can I make sure the crankshaft and camshafts are in their correct positions. I have assembled the head again. They won't be out my much if at all but I'd like to make sure before starting it. I can go to a scrap yard and get a cover so I'll know TDC but what about the camshafts.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

You can f Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

For timing purposes you need something rather more accurate than this... :-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Set the crankshaft sprocket so that the rib on the oil pump is between the two dots on the sprocket (90deg BTDC), camshaft sprockets should be set so that the exhaust markings face towards the back and the inlet markings face forward and line up with the cylinder head/bearing carrier seam.

If all is well then you should be able to rotate the engine by hand a few turns with no problems. Don't forget that once the cylinder head bolts have been loosened then it will be very difficult to turn the crank (and it's not recommended anyway - without the head clamping them down the cylinder liners can move and damage their lower seals).

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Dial gauge (or preferably 3- crank, in cam, ex cam) is only way to correctly time a K without any marks being present.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim.. (Remove Safetycatch)

OK I now have the lower cover and can find TDC how do I know my camshaft sprockets are aligned correctly?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Ok. If I find BTDC position I have both exhaust markings on the camshaft pointing rearwards and inlet markings pointing forwards. Correct?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

If memory serves and it's a 16v DOHC then there are two arrows on the sprocket spokes that should point towards each other.

Reply to
Chris Street

David,

Look in your e-mails, there is one from briangrayuk on a Yahoo account. There are two attachments and they show the position of all the timing marks along with a description of the setting-up procedure.

With the twin cam engine, you will need a camshaft locking tool - about three to five pounds from your local motor factor - Draper Stock No 52306 Model No CLT-K16

Hope this helps

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

According to the Haynes manual, yes. As I said, you should be able to rotate the engine a few times to confirm that valves and pistons don't get too friendly...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

David,

Just out of curiosity, did you get the two diagrams that I e-mailed you a few weeks ago showing the position of the timing marks?

If you did, were they any use and how did the job go?

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G