Rover 214S quarter light replacement.

Hi All,

My stepdaughter hasn't been very lucky with cars of late. Last (tidy) Rover written off by a drunk on a roundabout, then this cheapo ex family 214S blew a head gasket after a couple of months.

We had the work done (semi -mates-rates) and it's seems to be holding so far. It went straight through it's MOT yesterday so that was one blessing at least.

Last night she was woken by 'an alarm' but thought it was a neighbours car as they were already up and out, (apparently as she found out this morning) in time see a lad running away from stepdaughters car and leaving her a broken n/s quarter light.[1]

The first she knew that it was her car was this morning seeing the broken window and a note from the Police saying 'If this is new damage please contact us on ...' and then speaking to the good neighbour.

I've rung around ... new window are £75+Vat + fitting but I may have (finally) found one breaker that has one and for £15.

Any tips on replacing said window please?

Cheers, T i m

[1] The *only* thing she had in there was the child seat. Would that really be worth breaking into a car for or would they be trying to nick the car itself (but it's a Rover 214 ..??).

p.s. Would it be right that this glass should be common to all 'bubble shaped Rover 200 5dr's, 95-05' please?

Reply to
T i m

T i m gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How did they know that was the only thing in there, and there wasn't a SatNav in the glovebox or under a seat, f'rinstance?

Something like a R200 with a sprogseat is _prime_ Halfrauds SatChav territory. Usually stuck slap bang in the driver's eyeline...

Reply to
Adrian

Good point.

Well as it happens she doesn't have one so no sucker marks on the screen or being seen carrying one away etc.

;-) Along with 3 hundredweight of crap dangling from the interior mirror (something that should carry 12 points IMHO).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think so & it's not particularly difficult to fit.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Apart from taking the door panel off and working it out for yourself, I would suggest looking in a Haynes manual. Either buy a new one, or get one from eBay. You might even find one at your local library.

There's a good chance that that is the case, but it should be easy enough to check. Either against the car itself or with a tape measure. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

IIRC the window channel is held in by a screw at the top and one down low somewhere (can't remember if its the edge of the door or whther you take the panel off. ) or of course you could ask the breaker that supplies it, he'll know.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

One under the rubber at the top inside of the vertical channel and one on the inside behind the door panel (that I just loosened).

Worst job was getting the pingfucket off the winda winda (well, working out how it was held on rather than getting it off).

Job done, and escorted her to some nice guys who hoovered (most) the glass out and washed it for her for a tenner.

I treated her to the replacement window (which we were given for a tenner rather than the quoted 15 as we had to wait while they removed it from a car. We actually waited less time than we do for a take-away)!

Thanks for all the tips..

T i m

p.s. The Old Bill actually turned up and dusted the car for prints and the neighbour who saw the bloke running off may have recognised him. Not sure if that's going to make any difference but at least they bothered.

Reply to
T i m