Rover 218 SLD Q

Hello there, wonder if anyone can help.

My sister's '94 Rover 218 SLD (turbo diesel w. intercooler) has a *lot* of slack in the accelerator cable. I adjusted it at the diesel pump end so that the pump arm was held in the position a tiny bit before the revs began to rise. I left it idling for bit (checking for leaks after an oil change) and noticed it was running like a bag of crap, i.e. missing a lot. Slackened the cable off again and voila, back to normal. So basically if you hold the accelerator arm anywhere inbetween fully released and where the revs start to rise it gradually starts to run rougher and rougher over the course of 30 seconds to a minute or so - I get the feeling it would stall eventually but didnt let it go that far.

Glow plugs and fuel filter were replaced with the last oil change 6 months ago. It's a bit smoky on acceleration though and the garage had to get a bit creative to get it thru the last emmisions test. 150,000 miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil. The ammount of movement before the revs pick up is quite exessive though. Is this normal, or is something knackered?

Looking forward to a cheap, easy, quick fix, (in my dreams) Neil '90 MR2 G-ltd

Reply to
Neil Gaskell

Lucas Pump...... Brass pivot bush on top of the inj pump is worn oblong.... you can replace it yourself, but need to know what its about.... common on earlier Golfs too....

Reply to
JK