'94 218 SLD rough running

Hello there, wonder if anyone can help.

My sister's '94 Rover 218 SLD (turbo diesel w. intercooler) has a *lot* of dead movement in the accelerator cable. I adjusted it at the diesel pump end so that the pump arm was held in the position a tiny bit before the revs began to rise. I left it idling for bit (checking for leaks after an oil change) and noticed it was running like a bag of crap, i.e. missing a lot. Slackened the cable off again and voila, back to normal. So basically if you hold the accelerator arm anywhere inbetween fully released and where the revs start to rise it gradually starts to run rougher and rougher over the course of 30 seconds to a minute or so - and the revs dont start to rise right from the rest position as you'd expect.

I replaced the glow plugs and fuel filter with the last oil change 6 months ago. It's a bit smoky on acceleration though and the garage had to get a bit creative with addatives to get it thru the last emmisions test. 150,000 miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Economy's not too bad, 50 ish mpg. Any idea what the problem might be, or what I can look for? Diesel pumps are a zone of mystery to me.

Thanks, Neil

Reply to
Neil Gaskell

Friend has one the same. Basically, the engine is worn out and needs either a major overhaul or a replacement. As I recall, its a Pergeout lump fitted into your model and that particular design was dated before Rover decided to pick it up for use in a 218. In the end my friend had a recon engine fitted.

Reply to
Paul Hubbard