Rover 25 exhaust puzzle

Hi

I was driving home this morning and started to feel the road was uneven/ridged, though I doubted it was, especially when it went on for some time. Thinking it might be a tyre issue, I pulled off the road and could immediately hear this fairly loud regular pffffting ?? noise, which sounded like a hole in the exhaust but I couldn't pin-point where it was coming from.

Having decided to go to the exhaust place, I set off again and the car drove perfectly, so instead I came back home and on arrival, couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

Not happy, I took off again and after a few miles, stopped for a listen underneath and this time there was a typical exhaust blow noise, though not so loud as the first time. So off I go to the exhaust place. Up it goes onto the ramp. Nothing. He says there is no leak and all the mountings are sound so off I go again. Stop on the way home and can definitely hear it blowing, though driving OK. Get back home, nothing. Can't hear anything out of the ordinary.

I'm wondering if something - cat- has broken up inside and there's bits shifting around ? Do I just wait until it get worse. I'm guessing an emissions test might show up something ? What is the best course of action?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

In message , Andy Cap writes

(Tongue in cheek) Play the stereo a bit louder. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

I've already got that turned up to counteract the road noise ! ;-)

I'm wondering if part of the problem was the heat-shield around the exhaust, where it drops down the front of the engine but, it doesn't explain the slightly uneven running. I'll just have to see how it goes.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Not that then ! It *is* strange but I'm pretty convinced it's the middle box. Drove out about 2 miles, parked up in a lay-by and can hear the blow in the centre of the exhaust. Drive the 2 miles home again, park up, can't hear anything. That's *exactly* what it did yesterday. I'll try another exhaust place.

As an aside, how does the weep hole work. Apparently it lets out water but why not gases ??

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I once drove my Viva HC around while the garage owner clung to the bonnet to identify a knock from a front shock absorber (should say damper). They don't make garage owners like that any more, but if you could persuade someone to hang out of a window and listen...

Running boards were useful for that kind of thing.

Reply to
Gordon H

A good way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine at idle and hold a cloth hard over the tailpipe. If it leaks, you'll hear it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Just tried that - guy in the exhaust place did the same - and can't hear anything, yet when I parked up in the country, it definitely sounded like the central box was blowing.

Do you know how this weep hole is meant to work. Presumably, it can't be open all the time ?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

If I remember the rover 25, has a flexi at the front , you sure its not blowing out of that ? when the pressure builds up it will open the split slightly ! The weep hole is open all the time & just allows the condensation that builds up to dribble out, years ago, before these weep holes, we used to drill holes in the bottom of the silencer to let the water out ! The exhaust gasses are bring forced out of the back of the silencer, so you wont get any out of the weep hole.

Reply to
reg

Thanks for the info about the weep hole. I've just been out again... It's definitely blowing out the back of the middle box and quite badly. I can clearly feel it on my hand but it's also definitely intermittent. I got the missus to press a pad against the pipe whilst it was blowing and the noise is much REDUCED !!! Anyway, I'm going to get the box replaced because I'm convinced that where the problem is ???

Reply to
Andy Cap

If it's blowing there will be soot deposits showing where it's blowing. Have you got any?

Another clue is that if there was the slightest excuse for doing so, the exhaust geezer would have said so to make the sale. It's fine, just drive it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat