rover 400 shaking

I am having yet more problems with my rover 416 si my rover shakes sometimes when I drive it mostly when it is in 2nd or 3rd gear sometimes in 4rd too seems to be worst when its cold too, would it need new spark plugs ? I have had a new head gasket done about a month ago and then a week later a water pump but it was shakeing before that, some days its fine and other days it plays up, any ideas why ? any info would be very help full many thanks

Reply to
somersetsniper

it needs a mechanic to look at it, I would start with the HT system

Reply to
Mrcheerful

spark plus, spark leads or coil. I'd check the leads first.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

By "shaking I am taking it you mean it is running a bit rough. A bit "three cylindery"? Is it worse when it is raining or the weather is damp? I had a

214 that would become an absolute pain in the arse when a a touch of damp got to it.
Reply to
gazzafield

I have just had in a 214 with a similar fault, starts ok but after a few miles runs rough and may even stop, it turned out to be the king lead from the coil pack, when hot it arced over to a nearby bit of metal, a quick re-route and clean up and it is running fine again. 2 'mechanics' had spent hundreds of pounds and many hours trying to find that fault. Although quite why ht lead breaks down when hot I don't know.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In addition to what's been said try changing the distributor rotor arm, these have a tendency to crack and the coil then dumps its energy straight into the end of the camshaft instead of the HT leads like it should.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

many thanks to everyone for the information my dad says its more of a jerking than a shaking it played up again today it happens when I put my foot down I'm sort on money atm cus of the previous work done will this be dear to sort out ? many thanks

Reply to
somersetsniper

I also had the distributor cap done too just before the head gasket went

Reply to
somersetsniper

replace the rotor arm, then move onto plugs and ht leads

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I got four new spark plugs and new ht leads job done no more shaking or jerking now feels quicker too thanks for the input ppl many thanks :-)

Reply to
somersetsniper