rover 400 turbo derv

A Question, as google refers me to books,

Starts fine.

when warm, sumtimes lacks power, but seconds later finds it again and belches smoke(blk). this is around 2k rpm.

I feeling injecters are worn, but if so, it would do all the time?

any offers.

Reply to
Neil

to add, at around 3k sometimes power drops off, then surges, again with blk smoke.

Reply to
Neil

How many miles has it done? But getting the injectors tested would be a sensible move, as would changing the fuel filter & checking for air leaks, if they're sticky then it would run rough with loss of power

Reply to
Duncan Wood

its done around 85k.

the problem is not consistent.

Reply to
Neil

My 218 was similar. Talked to my mechanic friend and the result was:

1) Change filters and oil - use a good quality oil; I used Castrol GTD. You'll probably find the oil is really black so would benefit from flushing with cheap oil first. 2) I used Wynns Stop Smoke oil additive as well. 3) We changed the cambelt. It looked well overdue.

Result: car no longer belches smoke. It passed its MOT first go, and goes like stink.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Check the boost sensing pipe between the turbo and the fuel pump. Could also be the fuel compensating valve sticking (which is what the pipe connects to on the pump).

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

I'd suspect an air leak, it's a bit early for the injectors but getting them tested wouldn't be uneconomic. If they're worn they can stick but you normally see rough runing & smoke at idle, more likely is a simple faulty air hose or air leak into the diesel feed to the pump.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I hear the priming pump on CAV fuel filter assemblies is prone to developing an air leak in the diaphragm- seems to be more common on Fords but is certainly a possibility.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis