212D Sprinter intermittent fueling fault?

I have a strange problem with my `96 212D Sprinter, which I have owned from new. It has now covered just over 200,000 miles. A few weeks` ago it seemed to be lacking power, especially up hills + sounded a bit "flat" at higher rpm, not wanting to "rev" like it used to. Now this has become more noticeable, plus a warning light showing an oil can with a wavey line underneath it comes on occasionally. This seems to be just after the throttle is depressed more than usual, ie. pulling out of a junction up hill ? It is not the oil pressure light, but another one, just to the right of the "ABD" light on the dashboard. The oil, water, power-steering + brake fluids are all up to their correct levels. The van does not smoke at all and always starts "1st time", etc. When this light is "on" there is hardly any power at low rpm + it comes in with a "jerk" at around 1500 to 2000rpm, making the van very difficult to drive smoothly in traffic. If I stop the engine, wait briefly, then re-start, the light goes out and the van returns to just feeling a bit "sluggish" again. Any ideas, please???

Reply to
Trev

Ideas, yes but knowledge?? Who knows?

I'd ascribe general lethargy to fuel constraint, not yet starvation. When were the fuel filters last changed??

As to the warning light, I'd just bite the bullet and have a shop read the codes and fix whatever they indicate. Sounds lame but I'm from the old diesel school - no codes, no anything, just figure it out and fix it!

Reply to
Take A Guess

Pin hole in the fuel supply pipe letting in air? Sorry can't see original post so don't know if my reply is relevant

Reply to
David E.