3rd gear noise

Hi

When I change down from 4th to 3rd gear in my citroen zx there's a horrible grating sound, it occasionally happens when going from 2nd to 3rd as well. Once it's in 3rd gear there's no problem.

I'm pretty sure my clutch/cable needs adjusting as I have to put my foot right to the floor to change any gear, could this be causing the trouble with 3rd gear? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

GLD.

Reply to
gloddy

Adjust the clutch and see.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It would appear that the synchros on 3rd are worn and so need all the help they can get, such as having the clutch adjusted properly. If you continue to drive with the clutch like this you may wear the other synchros as well and end up with this problem in all gears.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

gearbox oil has been replaced with regular cheap and cheerful EP 80-90 by someone ........this can create all sorts of crunching problems. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Well I've tightened the clutch cable and it hasn't helped, it still crunches when changing down to 3rd.

If I take it to a garage what will they do? Can the synchromesh be changed on 3rd gear or will it be cheaper to fit a re-conditioned/new gearbox?? Any idea of the price??

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

GLD.

Reply to
gloddy

still crunches

synchromesh be changed

gearbox?? Any

No idea, but certainly not cheap. Most garages will only want to fit another g/b. There are Co's that will repair them, fit new synchros, bearings etc, but they would probably just want the box. Not the complete car. Personally I'd live with it until I was ready to replace the car. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've noticed one of the gear selector rods is *very* loose almost bendy, is this a possible cause?? How do I know which rod (out of 3) is used for selecting 3rd gear?

Once again any help is appreciated.

GLD.

Reply to
gloddy

On a ZX, between 1000-1500 fitted in my experience. :-(

JH

Reply to
JH