Rover 75s likely to depreciate sharply?

*cough* V8 version?
Reply to
DervMan

Hmmph. Nova = Corsa = my pet hate! My daughter refused to go with any driving school that uses Corsas!

His choice. I don't even like Fords. We bought him a Mini but he prefers the Capri. Conversely, eldest daughter was bought a Triumph 1300 but wanted a Mini... she'll take over my '78 next week. Well no, she'll start to drive it next week, but she doesn't get the V5 until she passes her test!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

That's a risk with any young lad in any car. The reason every other lamppost is festooned with flowers is that modern cars, even small ones, are so relatively powerful that you have a high chance of killing yourself on your first "off", despite all the safety gear. The old cars like I drove as a lad got bent, even wrecked (Avenger), but I'm still here to tell the tale. And hopefully the same applies to my kids learning in classics. I'm glad to say my kids don't like to follow the rest of the sheep (and I let them make up their own minds!)

Reply to
Chris Bolus

How many RAC rally class wins...?

I agree they were unsophisticated and cheap, but far from crap. I liked mine ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Best not go there - how many sub-1300cc Group B cars were there?

Heh. They're OK, so long as you want something a bit shit.

Reply to
SteveH

Chris Bolus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Couldn't agree more.

I think your daughter has excellent taste! As for your son.....well, at least he doesn't want a Nova/Corsa ;-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

That's not a 75?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news:459c0e71$0$32012$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, DervMan wittered on forthwith;

I want a 75 V8 quite badly.

Reply to
Pete M

Not many, but Skoda won the 1300cc GpN stuff quite often.

Did you know the Peugeot 504 pick up was a Group B car?

You've never driven a Skoda Rapid have you? They're actually quite amusing.

You want shit? Buy a Barkas :-)

Reply to
Pete M

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What else is it?

It could well be argued that the Ford engine isn't "Rover", sure, but it is a 75. It could also be argued that 190bhp from 2.5 litres yet just 260bhp from 4.6 litres is a bit laughable...

Reply to
Adrian

They're cheap enough. Parts supply on such a rare car *will* be a problem in later years, though, even if the major mechanicals are standard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought it was badged something else? Does 75 appear in the model name?

Given the Rover V-8 was producing over 200 bhp from 3.5 litres about 20 years ago, yes. Although of course these things don't scale - but of course 260 bhp does near exactly. So no improvment in 20 years.

Could have been interesting if they'd fitted a BMW V-8. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It certainly seems to appear on the bootlid...

"75" doesn't feature in the MG ZT's "model name", though... Does that mean it isn't a 75?

I've never seen an "E39" or "SD1" badge, either...

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks. It's just I've never seen one.

But they're not model names. Factory designations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really suitable to discuss decent cars if your idea of nirvana is an italian car - No - really

Reply to
lurkio

You might have, but, they're *very* subtle. Small V8 badges and the exhaust.

Reply to
DervMan

"Pete M" wrote in message news:enhs8b$qkl$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

I do, sort of.

LPGing it would be wrong, but the only way I could approach justifying it...

Reply to
DervMan

Even in GpN, they never really had any proper competition - Skoda were just about the only 'works' team running in the 1300cc group N class.

It was very clever - pick a class no-one else takes seriously and win against a selection of clubmen.

They are indeed quite amusing. I tried one before I bought the Cinq. A Rapid Cabrio, from a main Skoda dealer (Panda motors in Swansea), for the princely sum of 700 quid. Much as I loved the Cinq., I do sometimes think I may have been better off buying the Rapid.

Reply to
SteveH

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And a completely different Audi-ya-like-it nose.

Oh, wait, every single one I've *thought* I've seen has actually been a LWB v6, which had the same front panel...

Seen a few ZT260s, though. Sound lurvely, they do.

Reply to
Adrian

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why?