Rover 75s likely to depreciate sharply?

I'm sorry, but just because you were some desk-jockey making tea for fleet management doesn't qualify you to be an expert, as you seem to think you are with your constant Ford evangelism and dullard's 'data-sheet'.

It's just that you don't have an appreciation of how good a decently set up, lightweight car can be. Don't even think about using any of your assorted past purchases as evidence, either. A MkIII Fester, Metro and Ka don't count.

Perhaps you need some English lessons?

On paper, the 1.8T was as quick as most hot-hatches away from the lights and had a much better mid-range. You'll also note that I never claimed it handled better, but that *I* could hussle it along as quickly as just about everything else I encountered.

Perhaps you don't have an understanding of the abilities of a driver to drive around the faults of a car?

I've tried plenty of other stuff. None of which offers the same all-round package as the Passat. In the Golf class, nothing matches the Golf either. Alfas are more charismatic, but don't have the build quality, Ford have neither charisma or build quality in their favour. French stuff is, well, just French, really.

Yup, you're in the bozo bin for being a clueless dullard.

Go and make some tweaks to the 'data sheet', 'cos it's obviously the only way you can judge a car - it's plain to see you have f*ck all in the field of driving ability.

Reply to
SteveH

Pah!

Who needs NCAP stars.

Give me the nice, lightweight, compact, but spacious cars we used to have over the overweight lumps of lard we get these days.

Reply to
SteveH

The constant Ford evangelism that I think frankly mild compared to your "Fiat Group or VW" blinkered view of the world.

The Ka being the car that is still widely rated as one of the greatest handling small cars ever made, that'll be.

In the Golf class, GTi - excepted, almost everything on the market is nicer to drive than a Mk5 Golf. The Focus drives and handles better, is far more reliable and cheaper to run, the 147 Alfa is lovely when it works - I know four people who've got 147s, and all four have had nothing but trouble with them - even though one of them was an Alfa technician until last year and his car was prepared in a much more thorough manner than customers cars are. French stuff rides and handles better than a Golf and always has better steering feel.

At least he's got some driving experience.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:Xns98AE555EBF411adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian wittered on forthwith;

The 4.6 V8 is stupidly reliable though, I know lots of them that have covered 150k miles with no more than occasional oil changes and a change of spark plugs at 90k. It's the same engine as in the Lincoln Towncar limos - and they only very rarely have engine faults.

The 4.6 is also very tuneable with oodles of Mustang tuning bits available, isn't bad on fuel, is very smooth below about 5k rpm, and never seems short on torque - even when fitted to a 30+ ft long, 3+ ton, fully laden limo. In the 75 it must be a giggle.

Reply to
Pete M

Snag is I've known plenty of 2l VAG lumps that have done that, you don't need to cripple an engine to make it last.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

This'll be the rattly rotbox on an old-shape Fester platform, or a different Ka?

Reply to
Adrian

He was right then :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I thought they actually did do one badged as a 75 as well as the MG ZT V8. I might be wrong though.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

say that there was 'rumour of the 75 beingbased on the outgoing 5-series - all the tooling was available for theiruse' (or something along those lines). Which suggests, given the launch time of the 75, that it would have been an E34.

The only bit of design really 'stolen' from BMW was the Z-link rear axle

- but even that was majorly hacked about to make it work on a FWD car.

Reply to
SteveH

This thread is making me smile. My 2.0V6 club se was about 24000 quid when I got it in 1999, today (if I still had it) it would be worth about 2500-3000 quid. An equivalent BMW 320 would be worth about

4000-5000 quid, an old shape C200 about the same, or an A4 1.8T.

If you can afford the extra grand then get one of the premium german ones. I wouldn't take a risk on an early 75 now, even a Passat or a Primera is an order of magnitude more sensible as a choice.

No saloon car holds its value over time.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You mean the limping 115 bhp 2.0 VAG lump?

Reply to
DervMan

Indeed - well, mine was a 1.8 Turbo - but it was still going strong with not far off 180k miles on it.

Reply to
SteveH

As long as he is paying...

OTOH he has more than average sense for his age, so it might not happen that way.

Reply to
Chris Bolus