Rover 75s likely to depreciate sharply?

I have noticed quite a lot of Rover 75s /Rover 75 tourers and the MG equivalanets for sale at reasonable prices for the spec. But I imagine these cars that are priced 3-6k now will depricate sharply compared to other brands. Will they end up worth buttons like the Rover 800s within a couple of years ?

Reply to
Brian Pears

Brian Pears (BP) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.

So will a £3-6k Mondeo, Vectra or anything else.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes of course they will. Most larger cars from non prestigious brands are worth buttons when they get old. 'Old' can be just eight years old. Even prestige brand cars get to be worth buttons come to think of it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

And by the same token, many now sought-after classic cars were once worth buttons because they were just "old bangers". Good ones can be worth looking after, if you can identify the right model. That's the difficult bit of course... though the 75 may just have the cachet, the quality, and the fact that it was one of the last production Rovers.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

they were an unpleasant pile of poo, avoid like the plague, buy a nice p4, 5 or 6 if you want a rover.

if you want a luxury car that won't cost the earth to run or buy get a Lexus.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

What's Rover about it? The good parts are BMW.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A mate is very happy with his late model 75 V6, says they had just got it right when they went under. He waited and wouldn't get an early example as they had lots of teething problems. If they ever make it to "classic" anything other than the V6 will be as desirable as a 1.3L Capri.

Peter Hill

Many reckon the diesel auto is the pick of the range. Unless they changed things, the V-6 is very lacking in low end punch and only really gets going when you rev it - totally out of character with the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Front suspension mounts? :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Oi! I've got a 1.3L Capri - very rare now too, especially in Mk111 guise. Bought that way for a reason - the insurance will be lower for my son when he turns 17.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Peter Hill ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

75 v8/ZT260...?

TBH, I very much doubt ANYTHING post-mid-90s will ever make it to "classic" status, due to the sheer nightmare involved in maintaining the electronics. There may be a small market for fairly generic ECUs with wiring adapters and vehicle-specific reverse-engineered software for common "classics", but it'd be impossible with anything moderately unusual.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

From what I've seen of the very last ones, they were thrown together by a workforce that knew the end was coming. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

Reply to
SteveH

I tend to feel that the BMW build are a heap of s**te compared to the actual Rover build. I owned an R reg 200 TD and the build quality was good with real nuts and bolts. I then had a BMW inspired 25 TD and the bloody thing is held together with scrivits and push studs with questionable build quality, basically a good engine and box looking for a bodyshell. Nasty plastic compared to the 200 with rattles and clunks all over the place due to said scrivits.

I've never been impressed with BMW build and I never will, a lot of money spent on a hyped up second rate offering from third rate designers. I'm not that best impressed with VAG offerings, having been driven around in two golf TDi's the year before last, brand new and bits were dropping off them on each trip. Heap of s**te but some people appear to be rose tinted when you speak about german cars.

Ten years ago, maybe, the quality was good. Can't say the same now.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Most people here are a couple of decades behind the "actualite".

If you change cars every year but want to loose little dosh its probably best to keep away from these cars, however if you are thinking of keeping a car 3 or 4 years then think about it - the depn. is mostly gone so you actually get a re-badged/bodied old 5 series for pennies. The cars won most beaiutiful when they came out in mainland europe, we in the UK knew "better" and slagged them off, JD Power branded the 75 amongst the very best/most reliable

Its a bit like skoda a few years ago , the stupid thought they were crap - the intelligentsia knew better!

Reply to
lurkio

Very little of the platform is shared with a BMW. It's an urban myth spread to convince buyers that it was a good car.

The only 75 worth buying is a ZT260.

They *were* crap. Until they were bought by VW and started building re-skinned VW products.

Reply to
SteveH

Heh heh. Given it's loosely based on the E39 floor pan it might have the same struts...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Until he f*cks it off a tree in true detective-styley.

Reply to
David R

..in case it fell apart.

Reply to
David R

Chris Bolus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And he's happy about that? Hmmmm....surely a Nova SRi is the preferred contemporary classic for a lad of his age?

I thought that crapis were for men who *think* that they're 17? ;-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu