Rover 800 Diesel MK1 - Brake Master Cylinder

I'm trying to find a replacement master cylinder or repair kit for my 1990 MK1 rover 800 diesel WITHOUT ABS.

Rover (dealers?) can't help, they can only supply 4 seals not the complete repair kit including piston as Rover is now dead, I've tried EBAY and others.

My only hope is that someone is breaking a late MK1 with a good brake master cylinder.

It's too good a car to brake for the sake of a couple of rubber seals, but not worth spending hundreds on getting a new complete master cylinder, or having all the brake pipes replaced to go the ABS route.

And NO, the standard MK2 brakes do not fit as most had ABS (I've got a Sterling that I strip for spares)

Any and all serious help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Classic Car Man

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which would almost certainly be the same as Cortina and probably even early Sierra - a far larger number of cars than about 4-5yrs worth of Mk1 Rover

800 production...
Reply to
Adrian

Hello, Try Halfords, noone had a slave cylinder repair kit for my 820 Vitesse a few years ago, apart from Halfords and at a good price too.

Although Halfords here are supplied by Andrew Page so you may try going straight to them.

Hope to help, Paul

Reply to
P A Latham

Two thoughts:

  1. Isn't this based on a Honda platform? I don't know for sure but I recall this model was at the height of BL/Honda co-operation.

  1. Is the piston a complex shape? I mean, would it be too hard to get an engineering company to make one for you?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Edwards

The piston includes seals which are not available separately.

Reply to
Classic Car Man

Just trying to imagine the sort of world where a Rover 800 could be regarded as a classic...

*puke*
Reply to
Richard Polhill

It's just a name for older cars. And what is a classic to one person may not be to another in the true meaning of the word. Perhaps the name should be changed to hobby cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh I know I know. But Rover 800! I mean, really!

;-)

Reply to
Richard Polhill

My father's rather more baffled by Mk1 Escorts.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

He must be the only one. Decent ones fetch silly money - they're used for competition. My niece's hubby races one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just curious, what makes the Mk1 so much more desirable and valuable than the Mk2?

Reply to
Dean Dark

I dunno. Is there a date cutoff from some types of historic competition?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Mk.1 was the one with the 'image' for rallying etc. I have a feeling they are also a fair bit lighter.

My Mk.II ( 1100 Popular Plus(!) ) couldn't get to 70mph on a flat road on a still day... It got worse fuel consumption than my mates 1600 Mk.1 too. Insult to injury.

Reply to
PC Paul

I think it was gis experience of owning a new one.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In 1970 or so I briefly owned a 2 or 3 year old one, and it was a delight, compared to the early 60s Ford Cortinas, Hillman Minxes and similar cars I'd been driving up to then. I recall the delightful feel of the steering, and the lightful snickiness of the gearbox, as well as the lively - if not brutally powerful - engine.

I never owned a Mk2, but I drove a few and they seemed similar. The Vauxhall Viva of the same era wasn't a bad driver either, for what it was, at least when it was new.

I briefly postponed this post when my spell checker wanted to change 'Cortinas' to 'Cretins.' I'm not sure what to make of that.

Reply to
Dean Dark

He didn't have anything against the driving experience, it was the 6 waterpumps in 2000miles that did it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sure you're not thinking of the MkIII? The MkII is pretty similar to the MkI.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MK1:

MK2:

To my eyes there is a big difference between the MK1 and MK2.

One of the reasons for the MK1 being more desirable was that it was quite different from previous small Fords. In fact, it was probably as different as the MK1 Focus is from the last Escorts. The MK2 Escort was a bit more mainstream in the same way as the MK2 Focus is.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The Mk1 had the "coke bottle" shape that was characteristic of Ford in the very late-60s, early '70s. Think of the Mk3 Cortina, the Crapi or even the Mk1 Grandad. The rad grille is also very distinctive, particularly on a white one with the blue Mexico livery (is every surviving Mk1 Scort being used for rallying?)

Although the Mk2 wasn't the ugly FWD abomination of the later chavwagon, it was still very boxy. A flat nose designed with a baconslicer, so ugly that the RS2000 had to dress up as a Chevette to hide it. The orginal Mk1 RS2 had been happy with just the bog-standard body.

Reply to
Andy Dingley