Rover 800 kv6 idles but no power after head gasket change

I just changed the head gasket on a 1997 Rover 800 2.5 V6, it was running fine before but oil and water were mixing. when I finished, it started and run fine with loads of power no overheating etc although the idle was a little bit rough. the next day it was difficult to start would idle but would have no power, i.e. when I put my foot down it would either cough or backfire or stall. it feels like a fuel starvation problem. Any help is much appreciated.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

You've probably forgot to connect one of the EFi system's sensors so the ECU is assuming default values. Double check all those you disturbed or disconnected as part of the head work...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Reply to
Andrew Greaves

I'm not familiar with these engines, but is it possible that the one or more of the camshafts is a notch out on the chains/belts? Or perhaps there is a camshaft sensor that has failed, or got transposed with the opposite bank?

Mike

Reply to
MSC

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sounds like its injesting unmetered air? Check all intake hoses post air mass meter [1] and around throttle body.

[1] If the KV6 doesnt use an AMM then dunno!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I think I disturbed something on the injector rail that had a vacume pipe going to it, I don't know what it does, it is on the out let side or return side. I think it may control fuel pressure so I will check it out, anyone had any experience of this. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I checked out the injector rail and found some of the o-rings were damaged. The lesson is don't disturb the injection system if you don't need to. Car runs fine now except for a rough idle so I will investigate that next. Thanks to the people who replied. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Greaves