Rover Key Fob Re-Programming?

Hi all

Does anyone know if it's possible to re-program a rover key fob or does it need to go to some locksmiths to be done. Also if so does can anyone recommend one such company/person in the Manchester and state how much it is likely to cost? Many thanks.

Reply to
skint

Hmm. I could easily see a future in which in the aim of 'security' all bits in the car are registered with the ECU, and if the maker goes down, you are essentially screwed if you want new keys. At the moment, it's possible - even without dealer involvement, with most models, to swap the ECU over for one of a similar model, and use that cars set of keys.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Your future is already here!

For example, the Passat immobiliser is built in to the dash. It needs to be coded to the ECU. Dealers are not allowed to code replacement used ones. Oh, and they fail quote a bit.

There are many other examples of this. Car DIY is not going to get easier...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I had to get my key fob re-programmed about 2 years ago. Had to go to the local Rover dealer and he relieved me of =A360 for the privilege!

Not sure if it can be done by anyone other than Rover (or someone with the right kit).

Hope this helps,

Craig

Reply to
CK

Not sure if it can be done by anyone other than Rover (or someone with the right kit).

I had a keyfob on my wifes rover reprogrammed last year , it was from a scrappy as the original had come to the end of it's usefull life! All Rover dealers have an electronic reader which I believe does more than programme the security ecu! you activate the keyfob and the programmer accepts the new code. Takes longer to open the bonnet and plug in the reader than it does to programe the new keyfob in! The question I ask is why does it need reprogramed, if you put a new battery in just follow the instructions in the handbook, or find a rover or even ex rover dealer, they will have the electronic gizmo to do it.

Des

Reply to
Des

There are solutions.

for example.I could even imagine one with outputs configurable enough to drive thedash indicators.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would help the averave DIY'er of the future when faced with a multiplexed system with perhaps three computers talking to each other!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

so the supposed fix of putting the key in the ignition and turning it once (not turning the engine on) and then pressing the lock button on the key fob to get it to operate the central locking and thus pair it with the car does not work!

Reply to
skint

?
Reply to