rule of 9

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Baker" saying something like:

That was the pre-crossflow. I don't recall any particular name designation of that lump. I've always understood the Kent to be the crossflow which appeared in the Mk1 Scrote (1967, 8?).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've yet to come across a head, where the valve configuration is not immediately obvious simply from looking at the manifolds.

AFAIC, by definition, anyone who adjusts an exhaust valve to the same clearance as an inlet valve is an idiot, in my book. But I'll settle for highly incompetent, if you'd prefer. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That makes me an idiot then.

I did mine the other day on an old pushrod engine. I think I remember someone a long time ago saying it's 12 thou on the inlet, and 14 on the exhaust for my engine, but I wasn't sure, so I went by the manufacturer sticker under the bonnet. That says 10 thou for both.

I'm sure if I find my BoL it'll say something different again.

Got to redo them anyway, as two are noisy now, I think it's down to the wear in the rocker, with teh feeler guage tip being wider than the groove. Times like this I want a Clikadjust, but all the motor factors around here look at me like I'm a little green man trying to buy a dilithium fusion sprocket whenever I enquire :(

Reply to
Stuffed

No . I was fogetting there are exceptions when all valves have the same clearance. I should have included that proviso in my declaration. :-).

A dial guage on a magnetic base can be used instead if the rockers are pocketed. Never used one of those Clickadjust things, and I haven't seen anything like them advertised for years. Probably gone the same way as those rings you could buy, that fitted over the distributer cam to set the points gap. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Nope. When fully open rocking the engine either way will shut the valve - the spring cap rises. If the valve can move down it's not fully open, keep tuning until it stops going down and just starts coming up.

Reply to
Peter Hill