'Lost' Gear in a Rover

Hello group,

I wonder if anyone could throw up some suggestions on the following problem please.

My daughter has just 'phoned me to say that she has 'lost' first gear in her P reg. Rover 216i, manual gearbox.

This has happened rather suddenly - she drove the car to work with no problems, parked the car, but when she went to go home, she found that she could not get it into first gear (selection of the others seem ok).

No symptoms prior to this other than the 'odd' difficulty in getting first gear over a number of weeks - which she put down to something that she was doing (her words) .

At the moment, the info is a little sparse as I won't be seeing the car until tomorrow.

BTW, I have told her that she just can't lose a gear, she just has to keep stirring the gearstick until she finds it - she was NOT amused - ah well! Can't please the kids all the time!! :-)

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Hello.

Possibly a dragging clutch or gear linkage issue. Although the former would probably be prevalent through all gears.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Thanks for the reply G-Man,

I had a look this morning and it appears that the clutch is getting towards the end of its life and my daughter wasn't pushing the clutch pedal down far enough.

Problem is now, that I will be landed with the job when she can spare the car for a day :-(

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Whilst you've got the gearbox off, check for any play on the input shaft. If there is then it will need a new bearing which involves opening up the gearbox and you'll also need to replace the oil seal.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis