Running on Veg Oil

I have a 2001 BMW 320D an Audi 1997 1.9 TDI and Merc Vito 2.2td Im looking at the idea of trying to run any of the above on Vegetable Oil is there any good information to be obtained online on any of the above with regards to running on Veg Oil.

Reply to
Ricardo

Presumably you're looking at the cost and possible tax 'saving' of using neat veggie oil. For engines this new I'd avoid plain old crisco, and use biodiesel instead. This is (often) recycled veggie oil that has been processed to remove the cooking products, and titrated with kerosene or similar, so that the glycerine falls out, and you're left with a direct diesel replacement.

should get you started.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

Bio is =A31 a litre or more kind of defeats my object im looking to run at 60p a litre or less, Im just looking for info on which engines have problems with pure veg oil.

Reply to
Ricardo

Are you including the tax in that 60p/l?

Reply to
David Hearn

David Hearn (David Hearn ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Make less than 2,500 litres per year, and there IS no tax.

Reply to
Adrian

Which should be good for over 30,000 miles.

Reply to
Conor

Bio is £1 a litre or more kind of defeats my object im looking to run at 60p a litre or less, Im just looking for info on which engines have problems with pure veg oil.

Forget the BMW for certain (and I think also the Vito). The Audi is old skool (non-PD lump) so will be ok I think but check out the TDiClub forum for advice.

JB.

JB

Reply to
JB

JB ("JB" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Depends. If the Vito's not badged as CDI, then it's old-school non-common rail.

Reply to
Adrian

Ta. I wasn't sure of that. I don't 'do' mercs, only VAG and BMW.

JB

Reply to
JB

and theres a great forum on www.vegetableoildiesel .co.uk on converting diesel cars to run on veg oil, or you can make your own biodiesel from veg oil.

sell conversion kits

and
also c>

Reply to
Mallory

hth

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I thought that the 2,500l/year was for bio-fuel and not veggie (cooking) oil. AFAIK, HMRC were not classing veggie oil as a bio-fuel, but as a fuel alternative, therefore veggie oil would attract full duty.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

This was discussed at length when the 2500 litre allowance came in. Someone quoted a letter from HMRC which satisfied me personally that veg oil _can_ be used as a biofuel without paying duty (on less than 2500 litres per year).

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke