Scrap or repair?

I have a L reg MX-6 2.5 V6, it has a 'they all do that sir' fault with the distributor which is going to cost me at least £100 to fix. It is out of MOT, though it should pass without too much trouble as it has done VERY little work since it's last one. Cosmetically it's a good example, but given lack of time, the fact that the car is worth little and fuel prices I can't decide whether to just scrap it.

What are scrappers fetching these days? I believe metal prices are high.

Ta, Rick

Reply to
R D S

probably close to 200 in scrap

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On 'Fifth Gear' recently, Jonny Smith bought a '92 Astra privately with 30 days tax and MOT for £150. Drove it straight to an auction, and it fetched £220 from a scrap merchant.

[fifthgear_five_tv]Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If it were mine, I'd maybe offer it first on the MX-6 owners club website,there are always people ready to buy complete cars, then strip them for the parts they need, then sell on the rest via the Club website, but after a quick look at completed prices on ebay(£250 for a road legal one), it may well be less hassle to get it taken away by the scrapman Alan,

Reply to
A.Lee

is this minus the cost of the auction, days wages, fuel for transport, insurance etc etc though !

Reply to
mr p

Unfortunately scrap prices over the last few weeks have fallen a bit (unless you have copper!), something to do with the Chinese switching off all the factories to get rid of the smog for the Olympics? had a transit and vectra to go on Friday prices have definitely fallen :~( Hopefully give it a couple of months and it will improve!!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

What did you get for them?

I can't leave it where it is, it is outside a unit I have given up the lease on.

Reply to
R D S

£300 for both I had hoped for a bit more, we got £140 for a 106 diesel in July, A lovely runner needed a couple of things for the MOT probably made more with less hassle ,

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Yup. 110 quid a tonne when I took in a small trailer load last Wednesday

- a fall of 25 quid over the previous night according to the yard.

If I were the OP, I'd put it on eBay and hope for a bidding frenzy from people who heard of the high scrap prices but not that they'd dropped again.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Actually I think you might be right, this is probably just the type of car best peddled on ebay.

Reply to
R D S

I got £85 a tonne yesterday.

Reply to