Astra locking

My daughter has an astra, which has central locking by the key, not remote. A strange thing is happening to it. About 1 time out of 10, the drivers door lock won't work. The key won't turn, it feels solid, I won't force it. After all, it's an M reg car, you expect a bit of stuff going wrong.

This bit isn't the thing that's confuzzling me though. I simply go round to the passenger side and lock it from there. But this is the thing. whereas normally the key turns, the buttons go down and that's the end of it, when locking from the driver's side has failed[1], locking the passenger door needs doing twice. The first time, the key turns, the buttons go down, then they pop up again. The second time the key is turned, they go down and stay down. Anyone else had this?

[1] and only when. Sometimes I just lock it from the passenger side and it's perfectly normal.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I had a problem with one of these. When I got the drivers lock out there is a strange little assembly with a ball in it, this is all part of the dead locking system. On mine it needed cleaning and greasing and it was perfect again. Tricky to dismantle/reassemble, I would advise taking careful note or pictures as it is not too obvious once it is in bits.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Might be worth noting this in case the OP tries it, but I had a problem with my Escort lock and tried to be clever and swap the drivers' door barrel with the passengers'. Turned out they are not quite the same item, and the passenger barrel swap no longer worked the deadbolt system.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Oh f*ck, I got my apostrophes in the wrong place. Bummer. That'll teach me again not to try to be a clever clogs.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Or did I?

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Yes you did, but not in the blatant way that people usually do.

It should be "driver's door" since the driver in question is singular, similarly for "passenger's door". If there had been several drivers or several passengers in the context then you would have been right.

HTH and I'm sure the usual Internet Law will come into force and I have made several mistakes in this response too.

Reply to
PCPaul

Hmm, I think it's both. If you have a pool of several drivers and the one car, you may actually call it the drivers' door, meaning the door all your drivers use, not just the one currently driving it.

I'm not sure I'll get away with this though.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Thus spake Gareth Magennis ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Well, it depends how many drivers and passengers the car has. More than one of each and your apostrophes are OK :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Hmm. In our imaginary survey of 100 people, 90 said NO.

Plausible, though.

I would rather claim that 'driver' in this context is not referring to the total number of drivers who do now, have in the past or may in future use the vehicle, but that it refers solely to the disposition of the person in that seating position of the car, i.e. it's 'the door of the actual driver' not 'the door of all the potential drivers'.

As for the "passenger's door" surely the question of whether it is a two door car with multiple passengers all exiting through the nearside door makes a difference.

Reply to
PCPaul