306 problems

Hi everyone, I have 3 niggly probs with my 93 (L reg) XTDT 306 and hope you guys can help me.

1) Temperature gauge for external temp either displays over 70oC (until ignition is turned adn then goes to --) or just --, could this be a fault with the sensor (if so, where is it and how do I get to it? where is a good place to get Pug spares? It's not mentioned in the Haynes manual), or perhaps it's a wiring wiring fault? Any experience of this and a common problem if it is?

2) Rear heated window doesn't work. Push the switch, my wing mirrors heat up fine, voltage across them stay at 12, but is about 2V across the rear heated window when I push the same switch. Short? broken wire? Any experience of this?

3) When I brake at any speed, the car judders slightly, not a major prob, it's been like it for years but seeing I'm asking about the other 2 things, thought I'd ask. I have changed the discs and pads, moved wheels around, replaced tyres, all with little change. I thought something in the wheels could be loose, but the car passes it's MOT every year. Something that does happen, might be related, sometimes when I come to a complete stop the car clonks, and pulling away after that....the car clonks. Anyone seen this before or know the solution? My next guess would be driveshaft, but for this age of car, I don't know if it's worth it.

It's 11.2 years old now, but only has 57K on the clock, everything else with it is fine, zero rust etc so it's in good shape.

Any help on the above would be great. Thx for your time.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Palmer

Almost certianly a sensor fault, they don't seem to last long. It is mounted in the passenger door mirror, you will see a little round bump underneath close to the door. To get at it is a little more involved, as you will have to remove the miror glass, and then you will see it with its wires. The rest of the wiring is inside the door, so you have also to get to that. I have only ever found the part at Peugeot/Citroen main dealers. the other parts places don't keep them. Generic sensors are also available from places like Maplin, but I don't know if they are compatible. The sensor only has two wires coming out of it so it is a soldering job to connect it (though it's possible that a chocolate block connector would also work.

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. You can verify this by disconnecting one of the wires from the screen and measuring the voltage you then get on the wire ends. If this is then 12v, it confirms a bad, or high resistance, connection. Possibly just pulling off the wires from the screen and replacing them will be enough, but it could also be in the loom somewhere.

Sorry, don't know this one.

Reply to
brian

I think your lower wishbone mountings may be worn/cracked which could cause the symptons you have described, the front mountings are pressed in and very hard to visibly check without removing the wishbone (possibly something an MOT would miss?). It is worth getting these checked out or doing so yourself, as it is inexpensive to fix (simple task, although you need a press to punch the front mountings in and out) and shoud, hopefully, solve the clonking noise and the juddering!

To give a rough indication of the state of the mountings, have a look at them for signs of cracks/holes, and then get a tyre lever or crowbar in there and check for free play, especially on the rear mounting (you may need to disconnect the bottom balljoint to do this)

Hope this helps! Let me know how you get on.

disconnecting

Reply to
JC