Seatbelt Inertia reel

Is it possible to get these on their own or replace the spring that pulls the belt back in? The ones in my Ka are giving up the ghost and the seatbelts not winding back in is a pain in the arse. I'm pretty sure the Ka doesn't have pretensioners.

Reply to
Doki

Try your main ford dealer or have a look at

R. Murphy

you can possibly but whe seatbelt it's self.. i.e the belt, buckle, reel etc but not the stalk, but no you can not buy the reel on it's own, how would you attatch your seatbelt to it?

Guess you've never taken the end cap off an inertia reel then :) imagine a clock spring, and what happens in cartoons when you smash a clock.. yup, that happens in real life, re-winding it and putting the bugger back togeher takes all day :)

don't worry all you safety nazi's, it was my seatbelt, only i ever drove the van, and he spring is for retracting the belt, there's a pendulum in there that locks the belt when it's moved past a certian angle or the belt is yanked fast (ever wondered why the seatbelt locks sometimes and won't release when your trying to put it on.. it's co's your parked on a bit of a slope, and the pendelum is holding the belt in place as it thnks you've just rolled the car down an embankment.

The ones on our micra have been like that for 5 years, can't be arsed to replace them, they just get slung over the seats as we get out, and when we get back they'll have wound back in :)

You'll have to see ford for the replacement prices.. but sit down when they quote you, and hope they're not like Iveco, i wanted a drivers seatbelt, didnt need the stalk or owt, but would take it if i had to buy a kit for the seat with it in.. they only sell a cab set.. 3 seat belts and stalks.. only £150 plus vat!! i told them where to go, especialy as i'd removed the double passengers seat and put in another drivers seat so make my cab a walkthrough (to the motorhome body on the back) and give 2 comfy seats in the cab, so i'd have to throw away one belt even if i wanted to replace them all.

BTW, the pre-tensioners are in the stalk end of the belt, look under the seats, if you see a wire dangeling about under there near the seatbelt stalk, you prolly have pre-tensioners, .. or heated seats and/or side airbags in the headrests, try not to mess about with the wires undere there tho, air bags can be set off by distrubing the connections, the pre tensioners need voltage applying to the pins to set them off (which is why you never, ever do a ontinuity test on a pre-tensioner, the small voltage the multimeter puts through it can be enough to fire the charge)

Reply to
Gazz