Securing important bolts for MOT

Hi all,
The car I'm working on at present has small holes drilled AF through some of the bolt-heads. The manufacturer has then threaded a twisted pair of
stainless steel wires through three of these drilled bolts which secure a brake caliper in place, so the bolts can't come undone. I've not encountered this practice before. I'd sooner just use a drop of Loctite. But then come MOT time the empty holes through the bolt-heads might catch the eye of an examiner who would assume the mechanic had forgotten to replace the securing wires after re-fitting the calipers. So to be safe I have no choice but to follow suit. I'm just wondering if copper wire of the same gauge would be OK to use in this instance instead of s/steel? Are there any regs on the subject?
TIA.
On 25/03/2017 00:45, Chris wrote:

It would not be standard practice on a normal road car, but is on cars for competition use, so that a quick glance at scrutineering tells if anything is coming undone.
I do not believe it will be picked up on an MOT, but if you are worried it will then just wire it up, copper would do, it is an indicator rather than a holding device, so the tensile strength is irrelevant.
You can buy the right wire from many places online for three quid upward.
On 25-Mar-17 7:36 AM, MrCheerful wrote:

We used to use sheath wire from armoured cable. If you have some cut about 1ft off and strip it for the wires.
On 25/03/2017 08:21, Peter Hill wrote:

of course the secondary use of it is so that a loose bolt won't drop out on the track, I had forgotten that (thirty years since my RAC licence was last renewed)
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 08:21:31 +0000, Peter Hill wrote:

I do have some and it did cross my mind! But it's extra hassle and since the general view here is not to worry about it, I'll just do 'em up to 55ft-lb as specified and leave it at that. Thanks, all!
Chris wrote:

Too far put of left field for the average MoT guy. TBH, it's fairly rare to find renewed loctite on brake bolts and, done up to spec, they don't seem prone to coming loose.
If you're really worried just replace the bolts. What car, OOI?
--
Scott

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 09:30:13 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Jag XJS 5.3l V12 (HE variant.) But it's not been modified for competition use at all.
Chris wrote:

I watched a lovely video on YouTube with Raymond Baxter interviewing the two lead design engineers of the V12. It must have been a late 60s film but they're even talking about EGR & emissions which I always assumed didn't become important until the late 70s/80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPxpPYLW4kw

(Looks monochrome but it's actually colour that's majorly faded)
--
Scott

On 27/03/2017 09:20, Scott M wrote:

the American market was decades ahead of us in emission regulations, so that would have been an important aim for a new engine, which has to be made for quite a few years to justify development costs
Chris wrote:

Even the most eagle-eyed tester is only going to put it down as an advisory. I can't see anything in the regs that would require the bolts to be lock- wired, even if it was done from the factory.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.