Bolts or Clamps for Old Truck Cap?

Hi.

I've never put on a truck cap. I bought a 90 Toyota Truck 4x4 short bed that came with a cap that I want to put on for the winter. It looks like the previous owner just drilled four 3/8" holes (2 on each side)........... I don't think this is safe. Can I just drill my own holes and do it myself or buy truck cap clamps or is there another type clamp that would work? What about a gasket? There are 2 side rails now with clamps for a tonneau cover that I will remove first that I cannot use.

I'm not concerned about looks and don't want to spend a lot of money when something simple will work.

I think I would just drill 1/2" holes with stainless steel bolts and washers (3 on a side and 2 on the back) and buy a gasket at some place like autozone? Or is it just as simple to buy truck cap clamps where?

Any advice etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Clamps are much easier and not destructive. Get them at any topper shop. Definitely get a gasket too while you're there.

Reply to
Dan G

If its already drilled, the 4 bots work just fine -- I like washer under the heads and lock washers under the nuts. If it weren't drilled I'd go with the aluminum clamps just cuz you don't have to drill holes. The gasket can be sticky sided foam insulation tape from Home Depot.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for some info. I think I'm going to get some stainless steel bolts with washers and go that route. (And a gasket!)

Reply to
Fred