Service History

What planet are you from?

Likewise?

Since when were this sort of organisation interested? After all, Which etc have been saying the same thing for years...

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Only in passing.

FWIW, both BMW UK and the dealer group head office simply passed my letters on to the branch manager, who I'd already had no satisfaction from. Which leads me to conclude they get so many complaints it's merely a routine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I _know_ that a main dealer of a certain brand of Japanese car, who shall remain nameless ('cos he's an aquaintance) does this.

Reply to
SteveH

Of course, being a main dealer charging some extortionate rate per hour, you would say that ;-)

Recalls are easily dealt with by asking the bloke at the parts desk when you pop in for an oil filter or something.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Ah, you see, the trouble is that some people can't accept that just 'cos /they/ don't do something that there are other sneaky sods out there who do.

Can't imagine who they think is responsible for all the crime!

Reply to
Guy King

Agreed for the main part. My old Citroen AX 1.5D was serviced by me from 12 months old - I got full whack when I sold it, because I could prove to the enthusiast purchaser that I had changed the oil every 3000 miles and generally fettled it well - plus it was immaculate. No mean feat when the doors seemed to be made of tin foil!

With more complicated cars I've stuck to main dealers until 3 years old, then a combination of independents and main dealer and gone it on my own at

5 years old. It depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle.
Reply to
Doctor D.

Retail Motor Industry Federation

If you have a complaint about a member please review our procedure for making a complaint and contact the RMI's Conciliation and Arbitration department on 01788 538317, or write to 9 North Street, Rugby CV21

6AB.

If you wish to email, please ensure you include your full postal address snipped-for-privacy@rmif.co.uk

RMI Code of Practice

8 Handling Complaints 8.1 Members must ensure that effective and immediate action is taken with a view to achieving a just and prompt settlement of a complaint. To this end there will be, from the point of view of consumers, an easily identifiable and accessible procedure for the reception and handling of complaints. This must include details of how to complain, who to complain to, reasonable timescales for dealing with the complaint and details of the conciliation and independent arbitration procedures. This procedure must be understood by all relevant staff. A written complaint must be acknowledged within seven days and a substantive response sent within twenty one days of receipt. The same time scales will apply to the RMI and SMTA when dealing with written complaints from consumers.

8.2 When complaints are raised through a third party (e.g. the Automobile Association, the Royal Automobile Club, the Trading Standards services or a Citizens Advice Bureau), full cooperation must be given to that body although, if appropriate under the circumstances, reasonable efforts should be made to re-establish direct communication with complaining consumers and to reach a satisfactory settlement.

8.3 In the event that a complaint is not resolved, Members must make it clear to consumers that they have a right to refer the complaint to the appropriate trade association for conciliation.

8.4 Members will give assistance to the trade association concerned while it is investigating a complaint.

8.5 Where conciliation has failed to resolve a dispute the RMI and the SMTA have agreed to co-operate in the operation of low cost independent arbitration agreements which will be through an Independent Panel of Arbitrators. Details of the arbitration arrangements are set out in the Appendix to this Code. Consumers must always be advised that they have the option of taking a claim to the Courts.

8.6 The award of the arbitrator is enforceable in law on all parties.

Reply to
MB_UK

You really think they'd do anything given that BMW GB don't seem interested? Well. I don't. They're a trade organisation paid for by their menebers, and about as much use as any of those bodies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Well actually I brought a car with so called 'Full service History' and discovered it was all false. Contacted Trading Standards they did not want to know. After further self motivated research I managed to prove that the dealer 'clocked' the mileage plus create a SH after they purchased the vehicle from ADT auctions.

The dealer was fined £4,000 by Trading Standards. The annoying thing of all the local rag covered the story and TS took all the glory even though originally they did not want to know, basically TS took the evidence away from me and prosecuted the dealer.

So YES it does happen.

Reply to
dave F