Value of a Full Service History

How valuable do you consider a full service history?

In August, a reputable Land Rover dealer sold me a year 2000 Defender 110 TD5 (151.000 km), claiming it had a full service history. Despite numerous requests he does not come forward with the Service History Book. I am now assuming that there is in fact no service history.

As I personally would not buy a second hand car (never mind 4x4) without a full service history, I cannot expect to easily resell my Landy, expecting a fair price.

What percentage "value" would you put to a missing service history book? ( I am going to sue the bastard) Thanks for your opinion.

Reply to
Nathan Barog

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.mweb.co.za, Nathan Barog blithered:

Whatever you paid for the vehicle!

Reply to
GbH

Obtaining money by deception, isn't it? You bought a vehicle with a FSH which turned out not to have one - that's misrepresentation.

Go beat them up and see about it.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:11:15 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

though in fact, what's really needed is the value difference between a FSH

100-K-miler, and one with no verifiable history. It's only about 3-4 years old, so fairly pricey.

In UK terms, for that sort of age vehicle, I'd guess at about a couple of K max for FSH, depending on condition; if 2 vehicles were on the forecourt, one with FSH and one similar but without, I doubt the price difference would be that much.

If you intend to reject the vehicle, as being not as described in the contract of sale, for example, then you should get back the value paid, plus any incidental expenses. If you intend keeping it even so, then I guess you should be due an amount in respect of the difference in value, but it's a hard thing to put a price on and probably hard to get - I suspect your best option is that the vehicle is not as described and thus you reject it and want a full refund.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Considering some of the crap services I have seen from Garages, I would be more interested in invoices and bills for work done to the vehicle and receipts for the correct service items such as filters, oils etc.( When I do my own service I get the shop to detail the goods with code numbers if applicable. It is reasonable to assume that if someone can provide genuine items at regular intervals they will probably have done the work on it. Not much point in gathering bills on a regular basis over a number of years unless you genuinely do the work.Mind you it could be a con but then perhaps a feel for the seller as a con or genuine would come in handy.

Reply to
Hirsty's

When we bought our G reg Range Rover it had a FSH. I didnt have it serviced by a garage in the four years we had it as I do everything myself. When I sold it (part exchanged at a dealer) they said if I had kept up with a FSH they would have given me £1000 more for it. But, I figured if I had had it sercviced at a dealer over the four years it would have cost me more than £1000. So, effectively I was better off? Richard

Reply to
Richard