Servicing car late - how many miles over is OK?

There's a truism about this concerning how cars from the late 80's, early 90's, almost invariably drive/drove to the scrapyard under their own power, with some sort of repair (like some welding on the rear floor, etc) which was reckoned to cost more than the car was worth, as the reason for them being scrapped.

Realising this, I didn't bother servicing properly because I figured the engine would outlast the car anyway, and if not, then there were (and would increasingly be) plenty of donor vehicles with perfectly good engines waiting to be had for 100 quid complete. I had a hoist, and could swap the engine over a weekend for a low mileage, newer replacement.

Sure enough, the car managed 140,000 miles with an engine that started and drove perfectly well at the end of it, with a minimum of oil changes. The reason for getting shot of it was a ticking timebomb caused by a radiator leak which was causing some nasty rust issues all over the engine bay, but the engine was running as sweet as a nut, using almost no oil*, was silent at tickover, and still delivering the same 40 mpg as it had done from new.

I don't know about more modern cars with tougher emission rules to meet but you have to search hard to find cars which had worn out engines as the cause for their demise, unless the engine had some major issue like shipping with a dead oil pump or whatnot, or was just a pitiful design (like those BMW ones with the surface treatment that, well, that didn't work, basically.) Or, with something broken that should have been fixed, and wasn't.

(* the entire through-life use of oil - ignoring pre-20,000 miles and the one oil change it had at 97,000 miles - was six litres, more or less.)

Reply to
Questions

'Twas me I think. C reg Volvo 740 2.3. Bought at 100,000 miles and abused until 340,000 miles when the rust got it. No oil change, no filter change etc, one breakdown caused by wire to Hall Effect sensor breaking, fixed by roadside dab of solder from pen gas solderer. This was an experiment on my part, having owned and cherished Volvo's for most of my life. I wanted to see how far I could push one, but not literally !

Reply to
Taz

The majority of engines have the filter located above the level of the sump oil and so the filter can be replaced quite easily without having to drain the oil.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

But the filter will always collect oil inside it, so unless it's perfectly vertical (with the filter pointing downwards), with all the oil pipes nearby also being perfectly vertical, then a reasonable amount of oil will always collect in that area, and still spill out when the filter is changed, hence why it always has on any engine I've ever removed the filter from, and that's *after* draining the oil from the sump first.

And besides which, who ever changes an oil filter without changing the oil at the same time anyway? I've heard of people doing the opposite - only changing the filter on every other oil change, but not the other way around.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I agree - but I merely reported an observation made by an oil technician that modern oils will protect for many years without requiring changing - so long as the filter is regularly replaced. The fact that many idle owners never change their oil (or filter!) without apparent harm is testimony to that. I'm not advocating it - just commenting upon it!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I had an Astra GTE once that used oil at an alarming rate, probably over a gallon every 3000 miles, it was totally shagged and I scrapped it, but I did only change the filter a couple of times, never bothered with the oil as it always had fresh in it!

jinx

Reply to
Mr Jinx

Ah yes, the "constant oil change" principle. My Merc worked on that one too!

Reply to
Chris Bolus