Shaving your Trader's profit margin when you buy

Traders might buy say 20 cars at auction. So there is transporter rental=20 or delivery costs to consider, then there is the buyers fees at auction.=20

That is before they even get it back to the showroom. They still need to pay someone with the knowledge of a bucket and sponge=20 to wipe it arround with a damp rag, then rectify any non-obvious faults.

Not saying there is a grand there, but close to with the fees and=20 delivery.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

In message , Conor writes

[....]

If you're not Jake the Peg, you'll be sat on your arse. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

About a year ago, my neighbour was moving to Australia and had an Astra for sale in good condition, low mileage, and main dealer service history, she checked dealer prices and higher mileage Astras, without such good service history were selling for about £3000, so she advertised it locally for £2500, she didn't get any prospective buyers so took it to a local dealer who offered her £1,500 which she accepted as she needed to move sooner than expected. Within a week, that car was advertised by the same dealer for £3000, so even if the car needed £500 spent on it to put it on the forecourt, (very unlikely), this still gives a profit of £1000 on a £3000 car. Some people might say the dealer was lucky, others might say he ripped her off.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Some might also say that she sold it too cheaply.

In this case the dealer appears to have been lucky and the seller cocked up. When people emigrate it's not unusual for them to sell their belongings for stupidly low amounts of money. I know a dealer who bought a 3 year old, 19k mile top spec Laguna for £1500 because the seller had left no time whatsoever to sell the car before going home to New Zealand. Seller rang the dealer and said "I'm leaving tomorrow, how much will you give me for it?", dealer didn't want the Laguna so offered a cheeky £1500 bid. Seller accepted with no quibbling. Car booked at £6k retail.

If the seller had listed it on ebay with a 99p start and no reserve he'd have probably got £4k for it, but as it was they didn't have time.

Weird innit, there are TV programmes about people buying junk from boot markets and making money from it and that's fine. Motor Trader buys a cheap car and they're soulless bastards who rip off the public.

Reply to
Pete M