Should I be able to hear my fuel pump running?

Following up on my Focus 2.0 TDCi issues, I changed the fuel filter today in the hope that a new filter/seal would stop the air which is being drawn into my fuel line somewhere. It was a pig to bleed the system afterwards and it didn't fix the problem.

Every 30 seconds or so, I'm getting about 2-3 seconds worth of air bubbles coming out of the fuel filter. Unfortunately, the line from the tank to the filter is not clear so I can't see if there are air bubbles coming into the filter. In response to Mr C's suggestion, I made sure the tank was completely full.

The thing is, I can't hear the fuel pump running. I turned the ignition on (but engine off) and lifted the rear seat and listened at the top of the tank but I can't hear anything. I have checked the fuel pump fuse and its fine. Should I be able to hear the pump running?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I expect the pump will only run for a few seconds if the engine is not started. since the pump is internal it will be very quiet, you could always add a jumper wire to power it up continually and have a listen then. removing the supply pipe to the filter would also show whether the tank pump is working.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Don't know about the Focus, but we had an odd 'fuel shortage' problem a while ago on a Micra. Turned out that the fuel pump was held in the right position at the bottom of the tank by a moulded V section on the tank bottom. Drive over a rather larger bump than intended and the bottom of the tank flexed and the pump came out of its vee, after which, it was hit and miss as to whether it pumped petrol or air. Was a right pain to get the back seat up to get at the tank port, but quite pleasing to see how simple the problem was when I did.

Spamlet